Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

So far not so good

7 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Flipflopom!  All is well, thank you so much for asking.   I've had a crazy schedule over the last couple of weeks and between work, family and school have not had a chance to check in.  I was thinking about you on my way home from work last night and wanted to see how you were doing as well. 

I see things have been busy on the newcomer forum. I'm so happy that this site is here for people who are looking for support.  Just knowing that there are others out there who understand and are there when you need support can make all the difference in the world.

So glad to hear from you :-)  Sending virtual hugs and support to you too.  Hope you have a wonderful weekend! 
7 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there WT,

How are you doing?  I'm just checking in here on the site and thought of you.  I hope you're still on the right track.  Sending you virtual hugs and support!

Flip Flop
Awesome!  Good for you Flipflopmom!  I was thinking about you Saturday night and wondered how you were doing and I'm so glad to hear it went well. 

All is well with me.  I just finished an assignment and exam and realized I will likely be finished the course material early.  There was a bit of panick with that realization because I rely on these courses to keep me busy.  It will be important to make some fun plans so that I don't find myself too bored...

I survived!  We left during the cocktail 2 HOURS and went back to our nearby hotel.  It was so cold outside for an outdoor event that I used the excuse that I couldn't stay outside for that long just standing in the cold breeze.

I hope all is going well with you WT. I was thinking of you when I drank water at the wedding!!!
I know you can do it Flipflopmom! Just think about how good you will feel at the end of the day (and the next morning).  It is possible to enjoy a special event without alcohol.  Truthfully, there have been a couple of events/celebrations I've gone to where I am the sober one and it's interesting to observe how alcohol affects someone's behavior.  It can be entertaining but also a good reminder about why we have made a different choice.

Best of luck.  I'm looking forward to hearing about how it goes.

WT I want you to know you're encouraging me, too.  I'm going to a wedding overnight with my husband tomorrow, and I'm TERRIFIED.  I haven't been to an event like this in a really long time for a very obvious reason.  I'm coming here to say that I will not drink, and that I'll check in after this weekend to be honest and say what happened.  I'm so happy for you with your one week sober.  Good for you!!!  I hope you found a way to reward yourself, whether it's with a sweet treat, or something else.

Have a great weekend, and please say a prayer that I survive the dreaded cocktail hour!
Thanks FFM!  I'm about to celebrate my new one week mark.  Yay!  It's a amazing what one week of sobriety will do.  I have better self-confidence and am feeling calm and happy.  My heartburn is gone, my eyes are brighter and I am up in the morning and ready to go, excited about what the day will bring. 

This forum is a life line for me and I want to tell you why.  First, I am an introvert.  It's much easier for me to be open here because I feel safe. Face to face I am shy and it takes me a long time to open up.  Second, I was terribly ashamed to have such a problem.  I hear that this is common particularly for women. This shame prevented me from asking for help when I needed it until I found all of you. 

Thank you again for being there!
Nice going, Queen of Flip Flops!  LOL! Love that!

Keep checking in, I'll be looking for you!
Wow, what an evening...

By about 4:30 last night I felt like I wanted to curl up in a ball somewhere and hide from the world.  I was trying to work on homework and I couldn't even think a simple question through which was becoming a bit worrisome. 

Here's the interesting thing... I ate some blueberries and I started to perk up.  At "wine o'clock" I made myself that nice gingerale with lime and perked up a bit more.  Then I remembered that part of what my body is looking for is sugar, not alcohol.  It's used to getting a big dose of it between six and eight. 

The grocery store near me makes that most amazing freshly prepared fruit juices, all natural, no preservatives or added sugar so I think that will become my new six o'clock drink.  I'll go there today.  I had to promise myself that I would stay away from the grocery store for the first couple of days because they have a nice big wine isle which means every time I go to get food I have to face that blasted thing.  I can't get away from it... It's in the grocery stores and corner stores.  I feel like I'm surrounded by wine everywhere I go!  I will just tell myself the same thing I do when I walk by the junk food isle.  It's much easier to walk by it once in the grocery store than a hundred times at home. 

An interesting observation though.  My husband has a very well stocked liquor cabinet (which he almost never uses) and I could care a less about any of it.  It does not interest or appeal to me and neither does beer.  Not even in my most desperate hour of wanting a glass of wine has it crossed my mind to dip into something else.  My weakness is wine and wine alone.  I can't figure it out.  Any insight into this strange phenomenon would be most welcome.

The good news is that I slept, all night, no interruptions, no heartburn, no guilty thinking in the middle of the night.  As a matter of fact, I slept 11 hours!  I couldn't believe my eyes when I looked at the clock.  I know my body is probably in very bad need of proper, uninterrupted sleep so this is a great thing.

I'm really glad I had this week booked off work.  I had booked it deliberately for this reason.  To get myself back on track and I'm really happy that I'm finally on my way.

I have learned that this support forum is key to my success.  Checking in here daily will be a priority for me no matter how busy or stressed I am.  As a matter of fact those will probably be the most important times to check in. 

My goodness, I guess I had a lot to say today.

Thank you again for being there! 
Thank you!  It's been a good day today.  Made some homemade soup and spend the morning with my daughter and grandson.  I have more energy despite the weird night's sleep but it's all good.  I know from experience that my quality of sleep will improve over time so I can get through it.

I'm looking forward to that gingerale and will send you a virtual cheers back.  I'm off to the chiro tomorrow for an adjustment which will help a lot with the back and neck.

Thanks again Flipflopmom

p.s. We have something else in common.  My husband calls me the Queen of Flipflops lol.  It's a bit of an addiction I'm afraid but at least its relatively harmless :-) 

Reading this thread: