Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Tracking Temptations

11 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've got a few temptations that always come up...

I have social anxiety (much better now, was worse when I was younger) and I'd drink to "loosen up" at clubs and parties. 

Stress or trauma is also another one... I had a job a few months ago that I absolutely hated, and it was really stressful and fast-paced. Every night I'd come home and would be so angry and exhausted, sometimes I'd drink like 4 glasses of wine just to blot out how awful I felt. I did quit that job, and am much happier now, but it's funny, once you start drinking like that, even when the stress goes away, the drinking can still linger on. I've had other traumatic events in my life that have made me want to reach for the bottle, it's a pretty common reflex for me.

And then drinking is also about celebrating... getting together with girlfriends and getting a bit tipsy and silly and chatting late into the night. Having spontaneous dance parties in the living room. Sure you don't *need* wine for this, but it does act as a social lubricant for us folks who are more introverted. 
I just moved to a new city, and I'm hoping to make friends who aren't big drinkers... It's just so tempting when other people are drinking!
11 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I learned that the alcoholic part of me will never go away.  It's always there wanting another drink and it will emerge at my most vulnerable moments.  Just being aware of this is good, but I must always be on my guard - especially under stressful situations.  Dealing with it day by day and knowing I'm the one in control.  If I drink, I will lose control.
11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats Geri!

Saying NO outload can really derail your thinking in a positive way!

What did you learn from this experience?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Geri on your 1 month. You have just inspired me to say NO next time I have a strong urge. Thanks for sharing, it was good to read it. Fran
I am the "other Geri" who has a problem with wine.  I've been alcohol free for just over a month.  This site has helped me, by just coming to it in the morning and evening and knowing that I'm not alone.  Last night was the first and strongest urge I had to drink since I've stopped.  I was stressed out and on my way home and was tempted to get a bottle of wine, no one would know.  I kept side stepping it, until I passed a store and made a turn into the parking lot.  At that point, without stopping, I yelled out loud (windows closed) "NO" and drove out of the lot and got home.  I had to say NO loudly and firmly out loud to myself at three stop signs, but it worked.  The urge not only went away, but my resolve had become stronger.  I cannot believe I came so close to picking up that first drink and what scares me most is I know this will not be the last time.  Hopefully, saying NO out loud will work again.
11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Geri,

You have come to the right place. We can help you take control of this. Start by reading through the program. The information will help prepare you. Also, checking in twice a day is a great idea to ensure you keep focused on your goals.  Speaking of goals, when you are ready it will be important to set a goal for yourself. Whether you want to completely abstain or moderate is up to you just be clear on what exactly you will do. For example, if you want to moderate, you could set a goal to have two drinks a night for only three nights of the week for two weeks. Also, remember to reward yourself often.  Rewards are an important way to retrain your brain to enjoy not drinking. 

How do you think you will feel when you are able to take control of this for a month?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 325 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Geri
You have found a good place to come and get support. I understand where you are and a lot of us struggle with the wine. For some reason it is easier to go down and hard to give up. Come and check the MOGA's forum. We are all in the same boat, trying to stay sober one day at a time and then when we do drink, do it in moderation, thus Moderation Gang, MOGA for short. Have a good day and just keep trying. 
11 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi geri...try to stop one day at a time
11 years ago 0 234 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Geri,
Come check out the MoGAs forum.

I myself am trying to abstain, but the group is really supportive and lots of beneficial/interesting posts.

We all care for eachother, and having that feeling, helps.

PjH

I am new to this site as well.  I need a daily reinforcement and will be here at least 2x a day - morning and night.  My drinking has increased to two bottles of wine a day.  I start at 6PM and drink until I pass out.  I've done some very stupid stuff.  I've lost control, but I know I can get it back again as long as I'm here. 

Reading this thread: