Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Hi, I am Bob

15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If you admit that you are an alcoholic, don't you realize the only option is completely quit drinking and stay stopped? There is nothing you could do to make an alcoholic a normal drunk. You got to look for a solution to stay stopped.

If you are serious, find a fellowship that strictly follows the single-ness of purpose tradition and stick with it. There should be atleast a couple in every town.

15 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Brenna, am feeling much better now a day at a time. Am finally able to get some natural sleep which has help sooth my nervous system, Am now going to focus on home projects which have been victim  of my drinking insanity. I just have to stay focused and not look back.  Bob
Yes Foxman I do have the big book and many other of the aids. I am very familiar with the program and it saved my career/life years back. Today's AA is domininated with drug dependency moreso than alcohol. Not to say they are'nt equivalent. I am an alcoholic as once I start drinking it governs my actions. I can and have stopped periodically however the roller coaster cycle of life or lack there of is insane . I just want a steady more focused life. I am not a staggering drunk, mainly a social or maintainence drinker. Have been more prone to go on a maint. binge of late, not good!!
15 years ago +1 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 1
BoB,
    You say you where AA for 19 years, not sure if you read the book called Alcoholics Anonymous. There are pretty rigid steps to be taken and followed every day. Book talks about the progressive nature of the disease and if you are an alcoholic you will always be an alcoholic. The only hope is to have a psychic change by working the steps or some other form. Try to pick the Big book at your local center and get re-acquainted with this fatal disease and the solution.

good luck.

Hi Breanne,
     I am on day 6 of at home Detox and thanks to a loving wife am starting to come around. The 5 days/nites have been hell for this 68 yr. young fool mainly due to lack o excercise, sleep and appetite.  As of yesterday I had become totally fatiqued and still nauseated when any excertion was required. I had been trying over the counter sleep enhancement meds which barely did the job. Just tossed and turned all week with nightmares etc. I have been drinking lots of water daily. Was so run down last eve I told wife if I don't sleep tonite , tomorrow nite I will drink myself to sleep. However, I lit the woodstove here, had 2 plates of swedish  crock pot beef ribs w veggies, cookies and lotsa water. Went to bed about 8 pm and drifted into a natural slumber, 1st since last summer. This is a huge stepping stone for me and I now have a very positive attitude. I never again want to drink hard liquor as I am a pig. I also feel its time to quit all alchohol at my age . So my white knuckles have color this am, I feel more relaxed. If I salvaged my health this time I had better pursue my many interests and hobbies without alchohol. There is no absolute reason for me to drink anyway. Its a day at a time from now on thru thick and thin. Thanks for the support.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob,

Sounds like you are ready to make a change. Have you started working through the program?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
stuartdenley,

Welcome to the Alcohol Help Center and on taking the first steps to getting the help you need.
Start working through program, a big component of it is learning about yourself so you can better understand your addiction.
Some people find that taking a break from drinking for a while really helps them get control of their alcohol use.
Start reading through the forums. I think you'll find there are many people out there you can relate to. The forum is also full of advice and will offer you the wisdom of many diverse experiences in relation to alcohol addiction.

Check back soon and let us know how you're doing. We're always here to answer any questions you may have or to provide you with some feedback.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Thank you all for the support. My heart tells me I should quit altogether. I went thru my son's tragic death sober and also lost my daughter 3 yrs. later due to a bee sting. Went thru all sober. As I look at things today and see my super active life being robbed by booze its a matter of loss of self respect. Last winter spring I went on the NS weight loss system, no alcohol, did fine and felt great. I have 20 more pounds I could lose and may start back on the program. However , I had better think of quitting  drinking totally. I donnot want to return to AA at my age although it was a fabulous program. Today it is mostly druggies. However , drugs or booze same dependency!  I am a fortunate 37 yr. retiree with a special wife who has weathered the storm with me. I enjoy social drinking and have many friends. At times the booze takes over and i withdraw from normal life to hide my problem, depressing and scary. Am sick of being this way on the rollercoaster. I have decent health and lots of outdoor hobbies and interests. Thanks, Bob
15 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bob and Hi Stuart!!
I'm fairly new here as well.  Joined this group a little over a week ago and it's been very helpful.  I'm still struggling but find lots of help and encouragement here.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!
Ann
15 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm stuart and I joined this interesting forum which guides how to stop drinking alcohol. Nice to meet you all.

Reading this thread: