Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

So sick and tired of the cycle

5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know how you feel. I hate my binge drinking. It's one thing having fun with friends and quite another when you just keep going and going, until you cannot remember how the evening ended then find you've made a total ass of yourself. 
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forums. I can totally relate to that. Changing the mind in the afternoon. Suddenly my car would swerve into a gas station and I would have a bottle in my hand. And later in the eve, I will be making several trips back to the package stores and other places. In AA they call it the peculiar mental twist that leads us to the first drink. And then the craving kicks in. Under lying cause is the spiritual malady, being restless, irritable and discontented. We are unable to handle situations.
5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. I'm a newbie. Just wanted to say hello. I'm 68 yo & I've been drinking daily for the last 25---30 years or so. I'm retired now,  so I have nothing but drinking time on my hands and I want to stop. Need help! Here's the thing I see: Every day I tell myself I`m not going to drink. I`m fine till some time in the mid- afternoon.  I walk out of the house telling myself I'm not drinking today. Then, to my amazement, I'm in the liquor store buying beer,  and then I'm home looking at it and wondering what just happened. How do I stop that? It's an amazing thing! 
You dont have to reveal anything especially to close family members. You may start visiting a local AA meeting and hear others recovery. See what they did to recover from this condition. Amend process comes little bit later. In the meantime, you can also read the book on-line alcoholics anonymous especially the chapter "more about alcoholism" and try to relate to what they have stated. Its a peculiar condition. You dont want to drink in the morning but later on your mind tricks you into taking a drink or two. Then something takes over, you drink more than originally planned. 
So....I guess the question is do i cut back and monitor that way......or do I just come out of the closet sort of speak and tell everyone what i am going through.....?

I think i already know the answer......but if possible i would like to save my wife from hearing all the lies i have told, only in respect to how many drinks i may have had.  When she would ask, I would always divide by at least 2!
Craig, welcome to AHC. I was a closet drinker too. About august of 2006 I visited a shrink and after hearing my family history, he suggested I visit AA meetings. What a difference. I slowly understood what it means to be an alcoholic. An alcoholic, cant stay away from alcohol on his own resource. The mind tricks us into taking that first drink and then we get drink. Restless, irritable and discontent we could throw in other maladies, thats what I was, an emotional being. Didn't know how to handle situation and had to have booze to fix it.
Hey there......first day, just discovered this site.

I need some advice....I know I am drinking to much.....not sure if i should be stopping altogether or cutting back.  I am running my own business and am very busy and the business is going well am seems at the end of each day I need to celebrate......by myself!  If I am out at a party, or dinner at friends, I do find that i hold back and have better control as i do not want to make an ass of myself.  I seem to be a closet drinker prefering to drink home......hiding it from my wife and 3 kids......  Ya.....I dont know what to do....????
5 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kari, Carol1 and Ally!

I am so glad you three started posting around similar times - it looks like you all have a lot in common. The program and support group can be a big help when trying to quit. Commit to coming here to work on the program and post at least once a week and even more if you are having trouble. We are all here to support each other. Support + information= greater chance for success.

Kari, it sounds like you have a lot of awesome coping strategies. The juicing idea sounds lovely - your body will be so happy. You are so right about the societal pressure to drink. Saying "no, thank you" does take practice, that is why we have a section covering this in the program. Take a look so you can be even more prepared.

Hope to see you all posting again soon!

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I’m hearing you on the social pressure!  I went out with coworkers last Friday and ordered a club soda.  Used to get virtually no response, but now that dry January is over, I’m getting sad, apologetic looks and weird silence!  Treatment is Even bordering on judgey, tbh. And today a colleague came to me and said “I’m taking after your lead, I quit drinking” and I’m like “really?  Not my intent to garner a following but go for it!”.  At least I have a partner in crime. 
5 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In glad you signed up! How do you think you will use this site? I hope journaling will really help me. I started a health kick and detox kit today. I bought ingredients for juicing and making smoothies and went to the gym. I find sometimes if I focus on healthy eating and activities it is easier to get out of the cycle. My problem is though I always find an excuse to start drinking again! I ordered a self help book about quitting for good. I hope this helps. Only thing I am worried about is that I committed to going out with 2 coworkers on Saturday and they want to drink.  When I offered to be designated driver they were like no you're drinking with us! I really don't want to. I am thinking maybe I can order non alcoholic beer on the down low and they won't notice. It just sucks that in our society we have to make excuses to not drink like we are crazy. I really want to succeed this time! I have a trip in May booked for 2 weeks and want to do it sober. I want to really experience the vacation and enjoy living vibrantly not half numb. 

How are you doing on your first day? I hope you have found things to keep you strong 

Reading this thread: