Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Young Alcoholics

5 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bail,

I am so glad you posted. As you can see, you do not have to go through this alone. Keep reaching out for help. As you are underage there may be lots of resources in your community. I recommend using this program but also accessing as many resources as you can. I am not sure where you are located but your family doctor may be able to direct you to lots of free services, including counselling. Speaking to a community social worker may also help guide you in the right direction.  The kids help phone also can be an awesome tool to direct you to resources: 1-800-668-6868. 

It is very common for individuals with addictions to burn bridges. This does not mean you have nothing left - there are lots of supports that can be accessed and it still sounds like you have strength and intellect. You can change this. Don't give up on yourself.

Please keep posting. 
Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wanted to add, when I visited AA first time, I was 42 but I saw few who were around 20 and they were more vibrant in their recovery that gave me lot of inspiration. I am still close to few of them after 12 years in recovery. They are still wonderful and helping other people. So don't think you are out of place. 

To see the true meaning of powerlessness and un-manageability, you may have to dig into the chapters deeper in the book Alcoholics Anonymous (The bigbook). The terms allergy, peculiar mental twist, spiritual malady, obsession, craving all these are very key terminology that the person entering recovery come to grips with. Otherwise, we could take things lightly or dig into it deeper without the right understanding and losing the steam when it comes to completing the process.

Visit e-aa.org/forums, its another way to connect with people in recovery.
District 61 Inter-group meeting shows a young people meeting at this location.

• 18 Market Square

Newport, RI 02840

District 5

https://area61gensvcs.wpengine.com/meetings/

Visit above for other options.

5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I live in Rhode Island, there aren't many young people's meetings over here. I live in a small town, unfortunately. I do enjoy going to meetings though.
5 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to this forum and it is so good that you have had the courage to reach out for support. Admitting that you have a problem and facing it honestly is a big step. It sounds like you are ready to make a change. Have you tried stopping drinking on your own? It often takes people as few tries before they get the right tools in place that work for them to be successful. Perhaps you need help like AA that Foxman suggests or there may be other groups in your community as well. Wishing you well and letting you know that it is always worth trying and bridges can be rebuilt. Keep us posted. 
Depending on where you are look for Young People Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Even if you dont, look for AA meetings am sure there will be some young people in such meetings. Where I live there are vibrant CA meetings where young people are embracing the 12 steps and having fun in their life. I live in a large city and there is no scarcity in such gatherings. Wish you good luck. 
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone. 
I am a 19 year old female who has struggled with drinking for the last 6-7 years. Last night, I crashed and totaled my car, going 63 MPH in a 25, right on my road. I flipped my car, and all of my belongings in the car are wrecked, covered gas. My phone is broken as well. I ended up being lifted out of my car, by a doctor who thankfully lives down the road from me. Less than a month ago, I was followed home by two police officers who warned me about me and my tendency to drink and drive. The same officers responded to the scene last night. I was 4x the legal driving limit and I am underage, but once again, they gave me a second chance. I am blessed to not have a DUI charge.
The last few months have been out of control, due to my alcoholism. I lost my job, was kicked out of my childhood home, and tried to end my own life. 
I was wondering if there were any other "young"alcoholics like me, who feel like they have burned every bridge and have nothing left. It's getting harder and harder to see the point in trying and I thought it would help to try and reach out for some support. 

Reading this thread: