Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Day one

5 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
This is also my day one..again. Its wine that is a problem for me. I know that I am drinking too much of it. I have tried to stop in the past but on my own. I am hoping that being part of a supportive community will help :-)

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I’ve been thinking the same thing. It is only me who can bring myself happiness. 

5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am working on me

Thats what I did 12 years ago when I entered the fellowship of  AA. Then it was about my wife, kids, the job, the government.....the world..... Then I quickly realized, the only thing I can work on is me. That was a great revelation. Good luck with your journey.
Thank you Julie.  Do know that abstinence will ultimately be the way.  I do I do I do. 
5 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcom Samiam!
Many of us have similar stories of problems with alcohol. I think when you think that you have a problem with alcohol, it probably is a problem. Most “normal” drinkers don’t think like that. It is possible to make a change and although hard at the beginning, it does get easier.  I found a lot of support on this site; it was a place where I could be honest about my concerns and get help. My husband still drinks moderately, although he stopped for a bit when I first did. There are lots of books, podcasts, and websites that can support you. Different things work for different people. I tried moderation but I found it painful and I couldn’t make it work consistently. Eventually quitting was have what I felt I needed to do and it was the best decision I could have made. Drinking doesn’t really make anything easier. Although it seems that we can’t do without it and the idea of quitting is terrifying, in fact, you can do very well without it. Best of luck to you. Believe that this is possible for you!
Not very original I know.   I drink 4 or 5 nights a week yet I hold a fairly high profile job. I drink a bottle of wine but then I’m in bed by 8:30.  Somehow I manage to keep going.  I don’t want to keep going like this.  I find Sunday’s and Monday’s easy but by Tuesday I’m starting to look for a way out in a glass of wine.  I have been to therapy and looked for help from my doctor but they pat me on the head give me antidepressants and tell me I’m getting there.  My husband also,drinks. It’s hard to say no,when he is drinking.  Still I will try again.  This is actually day two for me and I know I won’t drink tonight.  I really want to be successful this time.  I want to cut back to weekends first and then move on to quitting completely. 

Reading this thread: