Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

My story

5 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
8 Days sober and I am as good as can be expected. A touch of depression and head games are starting but I am going to beat this with a healthier diet, fish oil pills, and exercise after my burns are healed. I have so many stories, scars, and near death experiences from alcohol it's a wonder why I didn't stop years ago. Thanks for caring Erin120484. How are you? 
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How are you doing? Are you still sober? I just joined and i read your story. 
6 Days sober this is the longest I have been sober in years. I also haven't smoked anything with nicotine in 3 and a half months. I am extremely tired and get really bad chest pains when I try to sleep. Feel like I am a teen again trying to learn how to handle emotions. The deep breathing exercise really helps.
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Reaper, welcome to the forums. The reason why we go back and take that first sip is that, our mind tricks us into taking that first sip after a period of abstinence. In AA we call it the 'peculiar mental twist' that precedes the first drink/hit/or any act. Then we are off to the races. The first step is about realization that if we continue to be in that state of mind we will be caught in that vicious cycle for ever. 
Thank you for the welcome I am 2 days sober and in the past I have been averaging 12 beers a day and more on weekends. I quit for a year years ago but had that first one and right back to staring at death. You would really wonder why I ever have that first sip when it always ends up with me hurt. I have been lucky but I have a feeling that this time I can never pick up the bottle again.
5 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Reaper to the forum. Glad that you are here now and looking for a positive change. Keep posting here so we know how things are going for you. Good luck to you as you start out. 
Hi this might be the exact kind of help I was looking for I am a 37yr old alcoholic who has been drinking heavy for 20 years looking for the blackout state. I just recently passed out head first into a big backyard fire and burnt my face pretty bad. Could've been a lot worse had my friend not been there to catch me. This made my decision to never drink alcohol again. This is the most recent story I have how alcohol almost killed me. Every time I pick up the bottle it seems as if death gets a lil closer so it is best I don't touch the poison anymore.

Reading this thread: