Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

New to Support Group

5 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  So far so good! I haven't had a drink since Monday which is a huge deal for me. Usually I don't go more than a couple days without a drink. I had some very upsetting news on Thursday and I was worried Id go right for a bottle of wine to cope but I was able to stay strong. Each day I get through without drinking makes me feel so good and its keeping me motivated. Im even getting some energy back and made it out hiking the past 2 days. 
5 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I like that idea. Abstain for 90 days!
5 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forum moving4ward. It sounds like you are ready to make some changes and that  you have some serious motivations to get control.  I found reading through the posts on here very helpful when I first quit drinking. There are also lots of podcasts and books that I found really supportive as well. You can do this!  You need to get the tools and supports in place that work for you. Best of luck and keep posting and telling us how you are doing. 
Thanks for the advice. I think that's a great idea. My goal for now will be to abstain for 90 days and then reassess. During this time Im hoping to get back to my old routine and live a healthy active lifestyle.... now I just need to find the energy and motivation. 
5 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

If you are hoping to moderate your drinking I highly recommend abstaining for a period first. At least 30 days but ideally three months and then reassess. Three months without alcohol allows you to change your pattern and lifestyle habits. They say it takes 90 days to start a new pattern. Attempting moderation without this period of abstinence can be very challenging; however, and reduction in drinking is a positive step forward.

Congrats on putting thought and effort into this. That is also a step in the right direction 
Ashley, Health Educator
  Thanks for replying. I have tried a few times to just have 1to 2 drinks. Sometimes it works and I feel great.... the majority of the time however, I cant stop after 1 and I just keep going. I definitely drink to cope, so for right now I have decided to completely stop until I can address my issues. Once my stressors are under control maybe I will revisit the idea of have a couple here and there. 
5 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forums. So the question, do you want to quit for good or moderate? Moderation may not be possible for everybody. There is a point where I realized I cant moderate and then tried to quit and kept failing. Eventually after reading the book alcoholics anonymous, I understood how the mind operates just prior to the first drink. We hit a blind spot and pick up. The reason being if we dont manage our life our emotions take over and we run into a situation where a drink looks real good.
Hi.... My name is Michelle and I'm new to this. Ive know my drinking has been a problem for a couple years now and Ive tried to get control before but wasn't really serious about it. It has now come to the point where my relationship is in trouble and im experiencing health issues. I am scared but im ready to make the change. I want to take control of my life and I'm hoping this will help.

Reading this thread: