Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Need some advice

6 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jdavis,

To answer your question, no it is not normal. You may not have an addiction in the traditional sense but it does sound like you may have a binge drinking problem. Binge drinking has many health risks and as you mentioned social risks. Drinking and driving is absolutely extremely dangerous to yourself and everyone else on the road as I am sure you know. This needs to stop now. You do not have to beat yourself up over this but you do need to find a solution to prevent this.

Abstaining for a period is a great idea. Have you ever been able to moderate drinking? Some people have success with moderation but it takes  a lot of planning and motivation. I would not recommend attempting this unless you are certain there is no chance you will drive.

The fact that you are being honest about the issue takes a lot of courage and self awareness. Thanks for posting.

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the advice . In the past have stayed stopped for up to a year. This was due to a bad fight with spouse. But of course after some time and convincing myself that i could do just casual drinking, I now find myself a couple of times a year drinking uncontrollable. But I don't drink every day and actually till this past weekend had not had a drink for over 5 weeks .just happen to go to a get together for a coworker and lost control. Thanks again .
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try stay stopped for a good period of time, that will give you a better idea about your situation. If you are an alcoholic, you will not be able to stop. Alcoholic pick up over and over again. 

Loosing control at times (like in your case when your wife is not with you) is definitely one of the symptoms of alcoholism. But that is a secondary problem.
6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, so the problem is when I'm out and even sometime by myself .I usually don't have just a couple of drinks, especially if my spouse is not with me .I will start drinking like a teenager and of course do a nd say stupid things and even find myself driving like this .I usually find myself doing this a couple of times a year .Is this a normal thing or an addiction problem or me just not being able to control my drinking, I'm also mid 30's so should I not be past this point.  I can just have a couple of drinks at home, but when I go out I binge drink. I know it's a pretty dumb question to ask. I have all the guilt and emotions the next day. Especially after drive. Any advice would be great .thanks

Reading this thread: