Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

1st post

9 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry Dave!
 You are right, "failure" is not the right word to be used in almost any situation! 
I like water off a ducks back :) 
Congrats all on keeping up with posting and reaching out here on the site. 

Shelbel; I am sorry that you are faced with this new "crisis".
My thoughts are this; it is a new challenge that the Universe has set in front of you and the Universe never gives us anything we cannot handle. Take a deep breath and then take another deep breath. It is time to be there for your family and you most certainly CAN do it without the crutch of alcohol. Surely, in my experience, this crutch we use eventually collapses right out from under us and doesn't end up supporting us at all. 
Take in and learn as many tools as you can from the counsellor and just as you see happening here, let your son know that he is NOT alone, and that we all feel depressed at some time in our lives. Let him know how loved and supported he is, and most of all, listen. Listen to the pain he is feeling and even though it might bring you pain to hear (hopefully he is willing to open up) also know and let be known that all that pain will soon be converted into strength and is helping to build the foundation of a stronger relationship in your family. Pain is a natural part of life. Pain is part of our existence.
I suffered from severe depression at a young age, and by the time I finally reached out to my mother, she didn't know how to handle it and she was sad and cried with me and she held me all night, but then she swept it under the rug and carried on with life as if I was all better. It was not all better in my world, but I was scared that she couldn't help me so I returned to pretending that things were OK inside of me even though they were not. I got very good at this pretending and shortly after I put my mask back on I started using alcohol as my crutch. What I needed was her to be there more regularly for me and for all of us to go see a professional, I needed to hear that I was not alone and that depression is indeed a normal part of life. I do not blame my mom, she always did the best she knew how to do with her kids and she loves us greatly. 
What I am saying, is that it is SO good that you are taking control of the situation and that you acknowledge the challenge which has been set in front of you and that you are willing to take it by the horns and fight it! 
I see you are strong person, Shelbel, your son must also be strong :) 
Luck and light 
Cassy

9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tips for dealing with crisis??  for the last week, I have been feeling really positive about, if not my being totally AF, at least my efforts to be in control of how much I drink.  Then yesterday, my 16 year old son tells us he is depressed, needs a break from us, and is moving in with his 18 year old girlfriend!  That 'depressed' word is a huge trigger for me as 10 years ago, my 15 year old stepson committed suicide.  I am NOT feeling so positive now about my efforts to control my drinking :(.  My husband, son and I are going to see a counsellor today about this situation but I would love to hear some words of wisdom about how to get through situations like this without my old 'crutch'!
Thanks, it is great to know that there are others who don't succeed the first time!  It makes me feel like less of a loser :(

9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kez,

Welcome to the site. God for you on taking affirmative action towards resolving this challenge. Post lot's and share your thoughts on how you feel and any any road blocks you may encounter. The tools are very good and making notes in the diary is very helpful. Looking forward to hearing more from you. 

Cassy, great work on Day 3! Focus on this first week and let the others that follow build on your success. It's a positive force that gathers momentum the longer you keep it moving.

If I can just say something......PLEASE avoid using the word "failure". We all do this in one form or another. There is no "failure" here. The only thing using a word like that does is to negate and invalidate the courage and effort we have made and to chain us to the past. We walk forward in this together and, if someone starts falling backwards slightly then we wait up for them, pick them up if they need it and "move on". Start thinking in terms of "water off a ducks back". Yes, we learn from set backs but we never fail. Ever. If someone was suffering from depression would we ever think to label them  a failure if they slipped backwards into a depressed episode? Of course not! We'd help them up, brush them off, and let them know it's ok ("Water off a ducks back. Let's move on"). When we see that this is measured in shades of grey we learn to extend and practice self-forgiveness and self-acceptance. Labelling is a profound form of dysfunctional thinking that only serves to keep us anchored in the past and keep us stagnant in the present, often in a state of paralysis. "Argue for your limitations and sure enough they are yours". Define yourself in extremes and you will go to extreme measures to alleviate that feeling and we begin to live in the cycle of the extreme lows and highs of alcohol abuse. We are naturally wired to eliminate stress and fear, that is why alcohol abuse escalates to the point that it does. It's a natural reaction that develops into a very unnatural condition. I've got good news for you......you're very normal and there is nothing abnormal as to how you got here. Time to move on. 

The problem we face when we quit is we still maintain the internal self-dialogue that fuels the negative feelings and diminishes our self-worth and self-confidence. Your external reality is a reflection of what is going on inside. Maybe a better choice to describe a set back is "Well, I could have done better on THAT one!"..... And try to see the humour in how seriously we take ourselves. 

Anyone who who takes on this challenge and bends to one knee to stop and take inventory on where they are and decides to make changes deserves a huge "Well done!". "Good bloody job!", at least in my books anyway. That takes huge courage and I really admire that. It inspires me to do better myself so "Thank you!" for sharing your decision.

Ya I know, a bit of rant first thing in the morning however food for thought during the day. A while back a thought occurred to me....."I find myself a curious creature, starving for knowledge in higher places while pecking at the stale seeds of my past". When this occurred to me I honestly began to laugh at the humour of taking myself so seriously, looking more like a chicken rather trying to enjoy the view from a better vantage point. We take ourselves far too seriously sometimes. 

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Cassy I love that you wrote that you have recently realized you have a real problem, and that just because other people don`t see it doesn't mean it's not there. the few times that i have expressed concern about my drinking most people have dismissed it or kind of laughed, because it's just "who I am". But I've recently decided as well that I do have a problem with alcohol, and that if I continue to go by what I feel other people think, I am going to continue hurting myself.  Good luck to you and I'm really glad I found this site.
9 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kona and Shelbel and Welcome :) 
I think you will find that this site is very helpful and supportive. I have been trying to make myself log in daily, at least to scroll new posts and re read my own posts. I have also been using the diary - a place where I can look back and reflect on my patterns and see my progress. 
I see how helpful it is when people respond to my posts and I also want others to feel that way, so I try to post often in response to other people. 
All though, I am only on day three of being AF, and just like yourself and many others,  I have failed on numerous occasions to stay away from booze but I have found so much support from this site. and much like you, Kona, I am able to manage moderation for a short time and then the obsession begins, one and two and then I am drunk and feel bad about life :( 
We are certainly not alone in your journey. I just recently decided that I have a real problem and just because no one else really sees it, does not mean it is not there and that it is not serious, but it is my problem and I am the only one who can fix it. 
It's important to remember that the process is day to day and some of those days will be much harder than others. 
Keep posting and sharing, and believing in yourselves! 
Today was a harder day for me than most, and I asked myself this question to get through it: what good has alcohol ever really done for you?  

Luck and light 
-Cassy
9 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shelbel, This is also my first time taking any steps toward addressing my problems. Don't worry about failures as long as you keep trying and maybe have a few more days in between at a time you will get there. I am just barely past two weeks since my last drink and it hasn't been easy! I probably haven't gone over a week without a drink in about 8 years. I have been a little grumpy it seems like, but its getting better. Keep working on it you're not alone.
Thanks, Dave for the reply.  You are so right, a little bit of my belief in myself disappears each time I fail at this.  My goal is to quit all together and yes my husband is very supportive.  I am thinking that an AA group is what my next step has to be.  Unfortunately we live in a small community with a love of sharing the 'dirt' and this will reflect not only on me but my husband and the rest of my family.  Feeling really conflicted about this!
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Kona322,

How are you feeling today? The weekend is coming up - what is your plan to avoid cravings?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Shelbel,

Welcome to the site. Rest assured, you are definitely NOT the first person to experience multiple "re-starts" on wrestling with this challenge, and certainly won't be the last. The challenge with the re-starts is that they seem to gather momentum each time we do it while, at the same time, we seem to slice layers off of our resolve. It's a double-edged sword but rest assured, you can resolve it. We can use the momentum of not drinking to carry us forward as well. We need to understand that the discomfort of the first few days\ week will pass and we'll begin to start feeling better. Is your plan to quit completely? Have you thought that far ahead or still figuring things out? Is your husband supportive of your quest? 

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: