Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-16 2:52 AM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-16 1:17 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,618 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO, AEREVE

Signed Up Today

13 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am a lot like you Iddy.  Too many binges when I couldn't stop at 1 or 2.  Next thing I know I'm waking up hungover and forget half the night before.  I've avoided a "big night" for 4 weeks (today).  I gotta say, I actually do feel different, in a very good way.  I have more energy, patience, and life seems generally a lot better.  Simply, I'm happier.  You will be too.  Good luck and welcome aboard.
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the support everyone. After writing my first post, I had a long talk with my husband about joining AHC. He was very proud of me. He is also my partner in crime on the wine front, although he can stop after one or two more easily than I can. We had a really great talk and committed to each other that we would work on our goal of not drinking on a work night and that we would cut back on weekends. We both want to become more healthy.

I haven't had a drink since Sunday and I'm feeling good. I too tend to forget things from the "night before" and hate that feeling. As someone else on this thread said, I want to be able to remember what goes on in my life and to really enjoy it.

One day at a time, right? Great! Bring it on!!
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello LittIT,

Welcome to our online support community and congratulations on taking the first steps towards getting the help you need. 

As mentioned above, start working through program, a big component of it is learning about yourself so you can better understand your addiction.Some people find that taking a break from drinking for a while really helps them get control of their alcohol use. Regardless of your goals the program will help you work on achieving them. Know that you are not alone, we are here for you. Check in often!

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 79 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Iddy687.  I know exactly how you feel.  I am very excitable and always was a celebratory drinker myself.  Pretty soon I found myself drinking for any lil thing...a holiday, a weekend, end of work day and, of course, to calm myself after a bad day.  Like you, I would always find myself thinking about that next drink...checking my glass against the clock to make sure I had time for one more before bar close. 
Parties and trips are a really big concern for me too.  I have found that if I can get myself fired up about really taking part and enjoying and even REMEMBERING the event, I'm able to enjoy myself, even if others are drinking.  In fact, I can enjoy laughing at them and feeling good about being sober...although I also have a lower tolerance for the obnoxious drunk and risk friction/fights so it's nice to have an out just in case.  There're so many things that I miss when my mind is numbed and I'm half concious so I'm able to really enjoy and experience more when I'm not.  On the other hand, if I get worked up about not being able to drink and thinking of the good drinks and fun everyone else will be having, I have a miserable time...and have been known to give in to temptation and cause myself even more misery.  I have been battling my demon for a while, with some short term successes, but more failure.  I'm hoping that this website along with some other inspirational support and reading, I will be able to reach & maintain my goal.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.  You are not alone and it's nice to know I'm not either.  :-)
13 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Iddy! I know the emotions that you are feeling as I am new as well. Hangovers and cravings are nothing new to me either. I've found that remembering to breathe, and continuiing to visit the site every few days, has been a good start. i have been less than perfect but have the courage to continue TRYING...which is very important. Best of luck in your journey, and I am here to talk about share whenever you like. :)
13 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Iddy687,
      After entering the fellowship of AA and reading the big book after 4 months of misery and finally after the fog cleared up, I came to realize that an alcoholic undergoes a phenomenon called craving which happens after he puts the first drink inside the body. Once that craving kicks in we end up drunk. He WILL not be able to stop with just 1 or 2 drinks. And then there is something called obsession of the mind which forces us to pick that first drink after prolonged absence. During that period (without booze) we are restless, irritable and discontent (which some call the spiritual malady or the untreated alcoholism).

I would sneak out on Saturday around 10 am for a tall bottle of ice house...but then i will be making several trips back to the gas station after that (i took a oath not to store booze at home). Sometimes I would just buy a 12 pack (1 each for Saturday and Sunday) but late Saturday I would have ran out of all the beers and will rush to get some for the evening and for Sunday (here there is no booze sale on Sunday). Heck of planning will go around my drinking.

Its been almost 4 years since i last took a drink. Its all due the working the program of AA, i have not had a desire to take a drink last years. 
13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Iddy687,

Welcome to the Alcohol Help Center and on taking the first steps to getting the help you need.

Start working through program, a big component of it is learning about yourself so you can better understand your addiction.

Some people find that taking a break from drinking for a while really helps them get control of their alcohol use.

Start reading through the forums. I think you'll find there are many people out there you can relate to. The forum is also full of advice and will offer you the wisdom of many diverse experiences in relation to alcohol addiction.

Check back soon and let us know how you're doing. We're always here to answer any questions you may have or to provide you with some feedback.

Samantha, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, here goes... I'm sitting at my desk feeling quite hungover and ashamed of myself. I had 7 glasses of wine and a beer yesterday when I had vowed to cut back on Saturday after a particularly bad fight with my husband on Friday night. He told me he was concerned about my drinking. It was a real eye opener.

I think of myself as a celebratory drinker -- and I can find just about anything to celebrate (sunny day, rainy day, good day at work, having fun with friends, etc.). At the same time, I've been under a lot of stress recently and find that I want to drink to make myself feel better. I don't seem to be able to stop at one or two lately and I can't figure out why I want to drink so much. I start thinking about the next glass of wine before I'm even finished the one I'm drinking!

My friends and family tend to consume a lot of wine and I convince myself that I have more control than they do. This may be true but it doesn't mean I'm not drinking way too much.

I'm headed to Ireland next week for a two week vacation and I've told myself I will cut back once I'm home again. I'm afraid that I won't have fun if I don't drink while I'm there, even though I know that's crazy.

I could go on and on, but this is probably enough to start with. I'd really appreciate some feedback to know that I'm not alone.

Reading this thread: