Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

I?m back

9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sue, 

I hear your frustration! Could you please give us an over view as to how life has been for you since joining this site. You joined in 2009 and you are still in battle mode. Given your long standing involvement with AHC I am wondering what coping strategies you've employed. I am also interested in how your fight has affected your life since you joined.  I recognize that all of my questions are essentially the same but for those of us who've just started this battle, your answers are invaluable. Very grateful for your feedback!

TS

9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It sounds like you are taking good care of yourself during this process. Nice work!

Have you made it past the one week mark yet? How are you feeling? Less irritable?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I want to avoid the misery and chaos, the horrible hangovers... these are just some of the reasons that are motivating me to stop drinking. I've wasted so much time getting drunk, being drunk and then the hangover days not being able to function
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi snaphu,

Welcome back! Getting on the abstaining treadmill can be a trial at first as you know. Just never quit trying to quit and you'll get there. Be kind to yourself and next time try to send out a distress call if you feel like a drink. Remember and use all the coping strategies you've developed through time. 

We're here for you and good luck!
TS
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is great to hear, that you want to abstain.
I personally could not, I tried everything to avoid obstaining switch drinks, switched times, ate before, ate after ect but could not slow down. Till I hit rock bottom, tried to kill myself, that is where booze took me. Please don't let it get that bad for you. If you are serious maybe you could take a few hours and ready the Big Book of AA. I would start with the chapter "more about Alcoholism. It is on line for free. Can't hurt. 
hi Jake!  I slipped last night and had 6 beers...  I learned from this though,  I didn't really enjoy them, and I want to continue to abstain 
9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sue
I hope all is well?
I did the medical cold turkey off booze thing. Night sweats was the worst that happened to me. Every day it will get better if you are willing to do what you have to do to get better. 
hi Ashley!  I feel good, it's been 2 days of abstaining, and I'm feeling a bit of confusion and a bit irritable...  I'm eating really well, when I was drinking, I didn't want to eat dinner, and the next day I craved junk food.  I think today (day 3) will be a bit tougher?  it's been a long time since I've abstained, I'm trying to detox at home, instead of the hospital (been there twice before)  I can eat better, and take better care of myself at home.  Also I have a dog, and cats and chickens that I need to take care of.  I'm VERY hopeful that I will be able to stay off the booze.  I want to get a liver enzymes test done... in the past I've had one done the enzymes have been elevated because of excessive drinking.

day 3 today...wish me luck!
9 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome back!

Congrats on getting started and getting through the first day. How does it feel so far?

Ashley, Health Educator

hi everyone... I'm back to this forum and this site to get support and information (again) to stop drinking.  I had Ø drinks yesterday... I even ate dinner, and remembered it!  I had a tad bit of dessert also.  I had to take Advil PM and some herbal supplements to get to sleep on top of my regular prescribed Trazodone and Zoplicone.  

Sue

Reading this thread: