Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,494 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

There's Always A 'Know It All'

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEllo Katy!

I just wanted to drop in and say I agree with Ashley and Goofy completely. A lot of people have a lot of opinions on a lot of things! And they just state those opinions as if they were facts. As stated before these statements are not backed up by any facts or eveidence. I agree that exercise and sunlight and eating well helps depression but thats where my agreement ends! So just nevermind whoever that was. Anyway, hang in there!
14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for replying.  Sometimes I just get this huge sense of self doubt when I read things like this,especially when I'm doing so well on my treatment therapy.

Katy
x
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WhatKatydid,  I have to totally agree with Ashley, there is not scientific basis for this person's opinion, no citations, research, or nothing to validate his claims.  He/She/They are entitled to their opinion.  I think it demonstrates why we need to advocate to negate the stigma that history as well as such uneducated/unfounded opinions propogate.

Ignore it; it's what I'd do or laugh!  WE know it isn't true.  And they defintitely in my book are a Don't Know Anything At All. 
14 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi WhatKatyDid,

What this individual is discussing does sound interesting, as many conspiracy theories can be; however, the validity of the arguments are unclear.  The author references no scientific journals or studies and this to me is a red flag for validity.  Also, to completely discredit the entire medical community is another red flag.  The author has an interesting point of view and getting enough exercise, eating a healthy diet low in processed foods and getting enough vitamin D are all good health practices.  But whenever an article does not reference scientific proof or imply they have all the answers I would be wary.  Members, what are your thoughts?

As a side note: I would also be cautioned about not wearing sunscreen.  This statement could be controversial with Health care providers as skin unprotected from the sun could be damaged.  

Mental Health is complicated and different medications, practices and therapies effect every individual differently.  Depression can be treated by a combination of medication, therapy, and healthy lifestyle choices.  This program is a great way to help you with your depression. The more you know the better equipped you are to take steps to alleviate depression.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 29 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been doing a lot of reaing online about less aggressive treatment than antidepressants.  (for exampple fish oils, Vitamin B6, sunlight)  I came across an article and I need to believe that it's inaccurate because if it's true, then I'm back where I started:

"When it comes to clinical depression, the biggest myth of all is that depression is a disease that you can't do anything about and, therefore, you need prescription drugs to "rebalance your brain chemistry." It's one of the greatest hoaxes of modern medicine, and it's generating hundreds of millions of dollars in revenues for drug companies. In reality, practically all cases of so-called clinical depression can be completely reversed with three simple things: 1) radical shifts to a healthy diet rich in essential fatty acids like GLA and completely absent any processed foods. 2) Regular physical fitness activites that include both a cardiovascular and strength training component (at least 4 days a week). 3) Regular exposure to natural sunlight, for at least one hour a day, directly on the skin with no sunscreen.

Show me a depressed person, and I'll show you someone who has absolutely not done these three things. In fact, I've never met a person who does these three things and is depressed. Not one. I don't believe there are any. That's because depression is actually just the natural cause-and-effect outcome that results from poor nutritional habits combined with a lack of physical exercise and avoidance of natural sunlight. It's really that simple. You don't need prescription drugs to fight depression, you need to get back to nature. "

I haven't posted this to discourage anyone but I just found the entire thing so disrespectful.  Is it because he's talking about clinical depression?  Please, tell me what you think because I feel a bit deflated after reading it....

Reading this thread: