Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,674 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Diva's rainy days...

13 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva!

Great to see you!  Good for you for going to work despite not feeling well.  Keep staying strong and keep posting.

We missed you!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I got through work. Did some needed shopping. Then I just crashed. But I dd manage to get back up for supper with mom so yay! Now I am home and trying not to go back to bed, I hate being so tired and sleepy! But all in all! I am proud I managed work today!
13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry I up and left. I guess my life has been tumultuous and up and down since last I was here. I am ok, alive lol. Will say more later. For now, I am exhausted and I have to go to work. Trying to just stay awake and take it one step at a time. Hoping I don't nod off at work. I guess I will do as usual and drink tons of coffeee to stay awake and deal with the consequences of that later. I should be off or I will be late and my boss hates late! Later guys and gals!
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva dear diva,

Are you there???  Are you okay?
14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Big hugs and welcome back Diva.
Personality disorders, seems I posted a similar one awhile back.  My way of thinking is that if a pdoc cannot figure out a precise diagnosis, they will lump you into a category called personality disorders.  Which only helps a little bit, ie. more to research and attempt to get answers (keeps you occupied until you can't take it any more).  But mostly I find that with BPD, as that is what I have been diagnosed with, it explains the reasoning behind my way of thinking.  Paranoid, but not delusional, different, but not enough so everyone can notice, constant ups and downs (like bipo but much quicker).  Now to change a personality I have been told by most medical professionals this is impossible and shouldn't be attempted (doctors and nurses not in the psychiatric field) but pdoc's and the like would like to think it can be attempted.  Not my choice, love me or leave me is how I think.
So, we love you Diva and we will be here for you crazy or not.
Take care.
14 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Goofy, you cracked me up.

Welcome home Diva!  I have to agree with everyone else.  I'm also in the field and see people's diagnosis change when they see a new doc.  It's frustrating for them.  So Goofy is absolutely right.  And she is also right about personality disorders not being about you being inherently flawed or bad.  Many many many times personality disorders are accompanied by depression.  External circumstances in our lives can actually trigger chemical imbalances.  It goes both ways-- genetics and externals.  It can be hard if not impossible to tell which came first for a person (the old chicken and the egg thing).

Anyway.  Please do stay.  I love reading your posts too.
big hugs for you.
deb
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva:   I agree with Ashley and Goofy.   I think you should still post here.   I look forward to your posts as I know many other people do.   You obviously feel that you're depressed which is what brought you here in the first place, regardless of what causes or caused the depression.     I hope you'll reconsider and continue to post.  

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, I will agree with Ashley.  A personality disorder does NOT mean a bad personality, bad character, or bad person. 
I am not trying to discredit your physicians but wiht psychiatric disorders it seems everyone has an opinion and I find it hard to believe every diagnosis I've recieved.  I KNOW HOW I FEEL.  Do they?  NO, they only know what you relay.  there are not tests (full proof, valid, reliable tests) to determine a personality disorder, bipolar, depression. Diagnosis come as a result of criteria. You can look in the DSM and we can all find characteristics of a personality disorder.  I do agree with Ashley regarding the depression and it is not uncommon to have more than one diagnosis, if in fact, they've accurately diagnosed you. 
Again, shouldn't try to be discrediting the docs, but having been in the field, I've seen people diagnosed with Major Depression, BiPolar Disorder, Hystrionic Personality Disorder all rolled into one.  Sometimes the symptoms overlap, that does not mean, in my opinion, it warrants a secondary diagnosis.  The two things I look at on the Diagnositic codes(theres another name for that) is GAF (global access of functioning).  It helps me know where they see I am at; and I know where I am at.  If you get the IDC or ICD number you can look it up on the computer and get the info on the diagnosis.  Of course you can always google  I don't think DSM is on the internet the American Psychiatric Association is money hungry (oops, another biased opinion).  I am sorry I can't remember if it's IDC or ICD but these are codes used and required by law in the US not for sure if so in Canada.
Please keep the faith in yourself.  A personality disorder, if in fact it is warranted, does not keep you from fitting in here.  In my opinion, from what I've seen of your posts (I am not a doctor) it's almost laughable.  Now you decide - because you know you!  They don't.  they just got a check list. 
Can't wait to read the book, see you post another drawing, help me gt motivated to exercise, get involved in your singing and other musical talents - the creative side!  I hope you are stll considering school!

14 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,

I am glad you decided to post.  You are no less deserving to be here than anyone else.  You still have symptoms of depression and can still benefit from the program and the support group.  Personality Disorders are not a choice and it is not anyone's fault.  You should not feel guilty about this diagnoses.  Have you talked to your doctor about this new diagnoses and what it means?

Members, please share your thoughts.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys and gals,

Thank you all for your kindness and for your support. I have come home from the hospital. I came home Friday. It took me a while to decide if I would come post here or not.

In the hospital they took really good care of me. Also, I had time to "calm down" and feel a bit better. They also are trying new medication for me and upped the one I was already taking. They tried to take away one of my meds but I must admit I disagree with them and so am resisting the whole deal. Maybe I shouldn't ... But that is neither here nor there. They have also set me up with very goof follow-up care.

The thing is I ended up with a new diagnostic. It seems that for quite some time, the psychiatrists and therapists and such that I have met have been thinking I may have a personnality disorder such as borderline, etc. Well, this time around it seems to be confirmed. I have a personnality disorder... A mixed personnality dissorder... It was explain to me that my misery does not come from a chemical imbalance as it does with a primary diagnosis of depression but that it comes well from how my personnality is and how it affects my life. So basically I am depressed and it is the fault of my huge personnality flaws and the way I deal with my life... Basically I am miserable and it is my fault as I have huge personnalily flaws and bad behaviors...

I didn't know if I should come back to post here, well except of course to let you all know I was ok, because I feel like I don't belong here anymore, like I am a fraud. Here you all are truely depressed, dealing with chemical imbalances, and my issues is a bad personnality. Ok I know I am simplyifying the issues of personnality dirsorders but still, as you can see I am having difficulty dealing with the neew diagnosis.

Anyway, I hope you are all doing ok. Hugs.

Reading this thread: