Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

ummmm, hi?

13 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jenmh 

When you get to core beliefs you will learn that it is not you that doesn't like you but a core belief that tell you so. This can be fixed. All of it can be fixed. Why not visit the sister site, the panic site. For your anxiety.

Davit.
13 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Jenmh... Do not give up.  You have made great strides already in your effort to reach your goal of enjoying life and likeing yourself.  You have indeed found the right place to help you with your depression, anxiety and even the self-injury (although that is not specifically addressed here, as far as I know).  You are not a waste of time.  I understand that feeling... the feeling of being a drain and a waste.  But that is the depression whispering in your heart.  Now that can change.  Stick with the program, do the homework, post often, ask questions, vent.... we are here for you.  In fact, have been where you are before you... and made our way through.

When you are depressed, age 28 seems terribly late to try to heal... but healing is a lifelong journey and I'm excited for you that you have begun the process.  I am 53 and have suffered depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse, eating disorders and self-injury for most of my life.  At 28 I would not have believed there was hope for change... but it did change.  It IS possible to change the way your brain works and how you feel and how you think using CBT and once you have a therapist too... you are way ahead of the game.  Please, don't give up.  There is hope.  For reals......
13 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jenmh,

Don't give up on getting help!  You've come to an incredible forum where members are very open to share their experiences and supportive in offering tips on how to get through episodes of depression and anxiety.  
I recommend looking over the Depression Program found in the 'Toolbox' on the main site and working through a section each day. You can also find information on Anxiety and working through negative thoughts on the Panic Center site.

Be kind to yourself.  You are taking the right steps to overcome depression by seeking help from your doctor and joining this forum.   Check in with us often.  Let us know how the program is helping you and how we can help you through the process.

We're here for you!

Vincenza, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So ya this is odd. Umm I guess I'm here for the same reasons as everyone else. I suffer from depression and anxiety I don't really ever remember not feeling "down". I had my first anxiety attack when I was 13 (now 28). I've just started taking citalopram (10mg/day- been on it for 15 days now) I am also an occasional cutter...if there is such a thing ;) I'm waiting for a therapist, which my family doctor said can take up to 6 months but since I "self-harm" I've been fast tracked so it shouldn't take more than 4-6 weeks. Most days I want to give up on getting help. I feel like it would be a waste of time for the doctors involved and that there is people that need help way more than me, that maybe I'm not "crazy" enough to deserve help...
I want to enjoy life. I want to like myself (I've never been sure why I don't like me, which makes my depression worse) I hope to get help with those things by doing this program, with meds and with help from a doctor.

Reading this thread: