Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

My marriage is in crisis...

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rose,

Lol, I have thought of that often. I wish I could run over his computer with the car. But in my house that would mean instant divorce. But hey, if I ever want a divorce I know how to get it!
 Me and hubby, we are in a truce. witch means I ignore all the things that bug me and just endevour to play and have fun with him. Nothing gets doen then though so I get more anxious. but at least we don't fight? The house is a mess though. This truces always take a toll well on everything responsible...A truce with my hubby involves not asking help for anything and just haging about vegging. Think I might sneak some laundry in while he is out. See I can't clean when he is home and just doing nothing. I find it humiliating. So I find it easier to clean when he is gone. Anyway, hubby and me are in a truce. BTW, I realize my marriage is totally disfunctional! Got councellor's tomorrow though so that is good. Especially cause atm I am really sad and discouraged on how to make this work. Sometimes I feel like I am married to a depressed video game addicted adolescent! Bleh! I don't have the energy to get us both back on track.But we have the councellors tomorrow! 
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks goofy for the info, no you didn't scare me off - dear diva, i'm sorry this has been going on and on and on for you! hope therapy session works out ok. he has to be honest for it to work and open-minded. don't deny or pretend - i think that's like being a prostitute in a way. if you want to blow something up - and make a huge statement - take all the gaming stuff, smash it on concrete, pour gas all over it and watch it burn! or better yet, try to sell it off, i know how expensive all the stuff can be. i hate to be wasteful. you deserve to be happy diva, you're trying so hard, will he?
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,

It sounds like you have kept a lot of your feelings to yourself and these are starting to build up. Although you mentioned that talking is not successful because it starts a fight. Any other ideas as to how you can release these emotions while avoiding conflict? 

Have you tried journaling or other creative outlets for your emotions?

Members, any other suggestions for Diva?

Sarah, Health Educator
The only coping strategies I know work in the short temr but hurt in the long term. Like swallowing up all my feelings until I can't feel them and feeel the illusion of happy. Or pretending like the problem is not there or never even existed. Denial and delusion are my coping strategies. I have tried talking but never get through and it starts fights and then when the fights get to be too much I just go back to pretending. And then he lets me pretend and all feels ok until the next time I just can't ignore things and the fighting start all over. And it is always the same thing and nothing ever changes and I am angry and hurt and sick of all this. SICK of it! As in about to just blow it all up just so I can have somepeace and some stability so I can rebuild. I am tired of all this, so tired...
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,

So sorry to hear that you are feeling angry. What are some coping strategies that have worked for you in the past?
Members, any suggestions?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
We have our councellor appointment soon. Not to soon if I might add. Today, I keep feeling so angry! I hate this. He is a video game addict and it impaxcts everything. I can't count on him for nothing! On top of it I think he is depressed but won'T admit it cause he won'T go for help! I keep ignoring him today. I keep not wanting sex with him. Not to punish him, just cause I feel angry and sad and disappointed. I sleep on the couch often. He is a sweet kind man really but the issues of game etc are ruining everything! I could scream, cry, freak out etc. But I have to go to work. I hate this.
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rose306, I teach that addiction is a disease.  That the thing that we are addicted is a symptom of emotions that we are bottling up and find relief and an escape from those things we don't want subconsciously want to deal with.  There are many things that  can make one predisposed to addiction, for example, race, genetics, environment, age at first use, traumatic events (rape, incest, anything tragic).  However, addiction as a disease is one theory.  There are many.  I know you mentioned that you smoke (if I remember correctly).  The premise is the same.  We use our smoking to deal with (me personally) anxiety primarily. There is a Biopsychosocial model of recovery that discusses the addictive nature of substances, the psychological (emotional and negative thoughts) and social aspects.  It is common for addicts to eventually isolate.  I see many parallels between depression and addiction.  There are two theories that I am aware not both are called CBT but are based on most of the same premises.  I know there are more, but the brain just let's me retrieve so much information at a time. 

Alcohol is processed differently in a person who is an alcoholic than one who is not.  The addictive nature of other substances causes them to alter the chemical (neurotransmitters) in the brain.  They affect many of the same neurotransmitters as those that are affected by depression - serotonin, norepenephrine, dopamine and epenephrine,  you can get more complicated than that with the chemistry of the brain....but I get lost too much further than that.  There is some connection between the pinneal gland and addiction as well as depression.  Low self-esteem is often seen in people recovering from addiction, now whether that came first or the addiction, I'm not sure about.  There is alot of guilt, shame, resentments, fears and hidden behaviors as a result of the addiction.  So people are kicking their own butts (this sound familiar too?).  

geez, have I scared you off- I always rattle on.  It's an escape mechanism for me and I recognize that!  woo hoo

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey! i agree - really interesting questions that really hit home for me, too. what is enabling? i understand you completely about him doing his thing allows you nonguilty time to yourself. is it good for him? no! it's an escape and really he could be doing better things with himself. like working extra hours or making dinner or grocery shopping or the laundry, etc etc etc - i think in your heart of heart it aggravates you for just that reason. i know it does my daughter-in-law. you've got to reach a healthy balance. is it 1-2 hours or 10+ hours!? is he working f/t? i think we can be addicted to just about anything, right? how do you make the determination? where do you draw the line? maybe like colbert  says just go with your gut! goofy - what is the basis of all addictions? low self esteem? ?? googleable - hilarious
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,

Your husbands gaming is definitely something that should be brought up with your counselor.
Please keep us posted on how it goes,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: