Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

How Long?

18 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, I talked with a counselor yesterday and it helped.He said something very interesting to me that gave me pause to think. He said what would be the worst thing that could happen to you that you would treat your family the way your husband is treating you? I said I couldn't even imagine what that would be and he said then you realize how bad he feels. He also told me that there wasn't much I could do until my husband took responsibility for his depression. I am at that point now. I really appreciate your post. Thanks.
18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep showing that you care for him, sometimes when a person is in a better mood they reflect on everything and he'll think about you being there for him and he won't feel completely rejected.
Yeh, I don't think people really understand how a person can hide it from everyone around them. That is what I am dealing with. A man that works very hard but shuts everyone that loves him out. I wish that I could do something to make his life easier but I don't think I can. I just feel so badly for him.
18 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Personally, I cope with a lot in school, I fill my schedules with academic activities to succeed. People have no clue how dark my mind really is. I shut out from my family because I know that they won't understand. I think work/school is part of the reason why people are depressed in the first place, but what can we do? We all need to make a living. So people just become isolated in their own little world hoping for the best.
Thanks, guys. I just got back from a vacation with some of my family members and had a good time---but when I returned my situation was right there for me to face again. What you have said really helps. I just don't understand when he says to me that he is so angry especially at himself. We were a good family-very supportive of one another. He just seems to be able to do his work and there is just nothing left for anyone else. Anything that you can tell me I will really really appreciate. It helps me deal with it on a day to day basis-thanks, friends. :)
18 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i agree with you kendy. you hit the nail on the head. perfect way to explain it. just wanted to add that.
18 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hope I'm not intruding on a private conversation but here goes. Like Batty, I went to work everyday. I was a teacher so I was surrounded by preschooler/kindergartners who needed me to be calm, warm, and supportive. I had something I called autopilot. I would disengage and let that part of me take over, go through the motions. I was a very good teacher. No one except a couple of close friends ever knew. When I'm depressed, the easiest thing to do is withdraw from anyone and everyone who cares. The little bit of effort it takes just to maintain normal civility is just too much. The mental pain seems unbearable. It's just easier to be alone. For me all of my effort went to getting through the work day. By the time I got home, I had nothing left. That's the incidious nature of the disease. It clouds the thinking. It makes you want to do things that actually perpetuate the disease. The things that could actually help are the last things you want to do when you're in the depths. The thinking becomes very black and white, good or bad, wrong or right, nothing in between. For me when things are so bad my choices seem to be live and suffer, die and have peace ... cut myself or kill myself. My psychologist always tells me, there are always more than two choices and of course that's true. But when I'm in the worst of the depression I don't see the other hundred choices that exist. So, I guess what I'm saying is that it is possible to function in one area and totally NOT in another. Take care of yourself.
My family is here right now so that always makes things feel brighter. I am going to go on a short vacation with four family members but my husband is still withdrawn. I have thought a lot about what you told me, and I know I can't do anything until he does. I am glad that you are going to see someone. I worried about you last night. Hugs back!
18 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
what now, you are a very positive influence in my life right now. i promise i am taking my meds. i always will. i go to the pdoc today and i will talk to her about my feelings. i cant thank you enough for being there for me. is there anything you need to talk about or are you doing ok? let me know. i am here for you also. hugs.
Hang on. I will always be here for you. It is so good that you have a friend that knows you need this time alone. I am beginning to understand my situation by reading your posts about your struggle. I wish that I could be of more help to you but I read your pain in your posts. It will pass and tomorrow will get better-remember that. Are you taking your medications? Remember that there is always someone that will help you-we aren't in this world alone. I will be thinking of you and hope your day passes well.

Reading this thread: