Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

What is Social Anxiety?

14 years ago 0 217 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi sally0,

Wow, thank you for sharing this with us. It helps me to know that I wasn't the only one who struggled through those awful oral presentations and dreaded them, was sick to my stomach because of them. Like you, I got better with time and exposure really did help. I had to do several presentations in college as well, and I would have to pack a spare t-shirt because one would get soaked in sweat. These things take time, work and effort. But the end result is worth it in the end. I am proud of us for overcoming our obstacles and tackling our fears and anxiety. I think if we continue to face our fears, one thing at a time, we will prevail. It's easier said then done, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Strength
14 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just wanted to share that I used to have Social Anxiety Disorder, but I am "mostly" over it now, thanks to repeated exposure to social situations, a kind of desensitization therapy I guess.

Many years ago, when I was in middle school, I was diagnosed as Autistic because I would speak to no one outside of my family. I couldn't even tell you what time it was. If a person asked me for the time, I would just turn away and ignore them. Over time, I made a few friends who I felt safe to be with and open up to. Then I just got slowly better from there. I knew I had a problem (and I am definitely not Autistic). I really wanted a college degree, so my desire for the degree pushed me to confront the disorder. In every single class (except for math), I had to do a presentation up in front of the class. I was terrified, threw up before the presentations, forgot what I was going to say and more. But, I got better. At first, the instructor allowed me to sit behind a desk to talk. Then I was able to stand behind a podium a few semesters later. Then, I eventually worked up to standing in the open.

I would always turn a funny red color and stop breathing during the presentation. But with repeated presentations, I only breathed fast and my hands shook, and I remained a normal color. LOL! 

I also remember that I had to take a speech class as a requirement to graduate, and I saved it for the very end because I was so scared. I found a "group communication" class (as opposed to the individual speech kind), and it also helped. The professor was brilliant. He had us go up in our groups to "report" on something each week, and while we were up there, he would start to talk and lecture. At first we were all confused and irritated at him for doing this, but after a while, we got clued in to what he was doing. When my group first went up, we were all shaking, couldn't breathe, and were very scared (I think many people like me had signed up for that class). But, after about 5 minutes of his rambling, we stopped shaking and could breathe again and became impatient. After he did this a few times, he explained that he was allowing us to stand up in front of class long enough for the flight or flight response to pass, and it really worked! For our final, big presentation, he allowed all of us to sit in a panel in front of the class. I find sitting takes away a lot of the anxiety.

I think my point is that after 6 years of college (went part time), I got over a lot of the social anxiety issues. Yeah!  However, I still fight it. I just graduated recently and had to give a speech in front of about 100 people. I knew for a month in advance, but whenever I thought about it, I would start to hyperventilate, so, I wrote a speech, practiced it a many times, and visualized giving it in front of a huge theater (with many more people than I actually spoke in front of). I would say it in the car, in the bathtub, outside, in the house, etc. When the day came to give it, I just tried to block all the real people out and regurgitate my speech. It worked pretty well! I ended up having a terrible case of dry mouth though during the speech (from the Lithium) and ended up cutting it shortly when my lips kept sticking to my gums. LOL!

I am not over this social anxiety thing yet, for example, I was in our car recently, and my husband had his cell phone on speakerphone. He took a work related call, and his coworker wanted to congratulate me on graduating, but I just clammed up and could not even say thank you. My hubby got a bit upset while I just kept shaking my head back and forth. Thankfully, he covered for me. I just couldn't bring myself to talk to a stranger over the speakerphone in the car. It sounds weird to me now.

I plan on keeping working on this because I find it to be restrictive and limiting.
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members,

Social anxiety is an anxiety disorder characterized by overwhelming anxiety and extreme self-consciousness in normal social situations. While most people feel at least a little bit nervous about public speaking or giving presentations, people with Social Anxiety Disorder suffer from an intense fear of being judged or watched by others. People with Social Anxiety Disorder are always worried about being judged, humiliated or embarrassed when they are with other people.

Does this sound familiar to you? Is public speaking one of your biggest phobias?

Samantha, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: