Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Myth or Fact?

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, it is hard to accept. And breaking it down sounds like a good way to do it. Hang in there. It really does get better once you get more tools to your "mental toolbelt". Remember, This too shall pass.
15 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Diva - yeah, I did not even realize what I have been thinking until now. It is overwhelming, but I have read on a little and I will learn how to turn this around. I feel like I just need to break it down to accept it.
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Sugar,

Soon you will learn how to challenge your thoughts and it will give you the tools you need to deal with those distortins. That really should help. But yeah, at first it is really overwhelming to look at our own way of thinking so closely! Hang in there!
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sugar,

Keep at it. You are taking steps in the right direction by recognizing your own thought patterns and by trying to understand them. The next step is to challenge these negative thoughts, and also, try to accept positive thoughts, such as "I can do this!"
Hang in there sugar, you'll get there

Members, any thoughts or advice?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is off the topic - sorry - I am having a very difficult time with cognitive distortions. My brain uses every one of these, and I feel like I will never get past this section at all. See ? never. It gets me down to recognize this thinking in myself. I know I am doing it, but don't know how to stop. This has been going on in my head for years ! I feel like I am spiraling when I recognize these distortions. Has someone learned how to get past this; especially when you are already depressed ???
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Myth: Depression only happens when something bad goes on in your life, such as a divorce, the death of a loved one, or losing your job.

Fact: Depression can affect anyone at anytime of live. Sometimes it can strike when life is going well and sometimes it can be set off when something in your life goes wrong. Depression can by physiologic (caused by life challenges) or it can be a chemical imbalance in the brain (this often requires medication to recreate the balance).

Members, please tell us about when you first became aware of your depression and what was going on in your life at this time.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator

Reading this thread: