Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Feeling good!

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,

Just remember,  every one ... EVERY SINGLE ONE ... of those people at the group has felt exactly like you!

THat is part of the social phobia.  And you are courageous because you know you see yourself as a bunch of negative things and know it is possible to change.

go pete go!
Go Pete Go!
GO! PETE! GO!
YA!

we are all cheering for you
15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
wow! really good and dark - self hate or a surfeit of self love? i just can't tell........that is really sticking with me. what did you mean? maybe i'm projecting, but it makes me feel narcisstic to be depressed, like the world as i know it revolves around me - the rest of it, i don't understand well enough. anyways, great job, take all the praise you can get  you sure don't "seem" strange and was that you before you changed your avatar - that good looking redhead?
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wise Wildcat:

It was just a few regular-looking people. This makes me sound a complete klutz, but I would have been okay, I think, if I'd seen people go into the building one-by-one. It was seeing three or four people stop and chat to each other as they entered that I found intimidating. Like there was a group of people who clearly knew each other and looked confident and comfortable with each other (looking back now, that reads like a good advert for the group), and I would be intruding, and I would feel somehow forced into justifying my presence. I became conscious of how strange and ugly I am, how awkward, and how I would just bring everybody down. I knew people wouldn't be hostile, but I would somehow have to be introduced, or introduce myself, to the rest of the group, and then they'd all look at me, and smile at me, and .... it just felt like total overload even contemplating it. That's the best I can express how it felt, but it's not really a rational thing, it was a gut feeling, a rising tide of panic, and the knowledge that I could not, just could not, summon the will to walk through that door. Maybe next time, if they still want me. Still, an SA group must be used to that kind of behaviour, mustn't they?

I don't think I should point you at the webzine that put my poem up, as it's up there under my full name with my email address attached, which would probably violate the anonymity policy here. Might also count as promoting another website.

If you're interested at all, I bunged the poem in my blog. I've written a whole bunch of them, and I don't think this is one of my best, but it's the one the webzine editor liked, so I'll take the compliment and try to feel pleased with myself.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I'll try and draw strength from it next time (gulp!)

15 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
congratulations pete, your 99% in! next time i predict! you will make it through the door
hi Pete,

It was good that you got to go and you saw some of the people that are part of the group.  Anyone special? or just a bunch of average people?  normal you and me...  The area look okay?    All these are part of the usual escape route.  If you are a bit more familiar with the surroundings perhaps you will have that much less to "worry" about next week...

You might have seen the people who had homework!  Say hi to a face you recognise next week and not a difficult group to intergrate.  I know I spent 2 years at mine.

so ... Next week register.

oh by the way which web zine?  can we browse your Work?
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pete

I also want to congratulate you on making the decision to go. Even if you didn't go in, you have made the choice to do whatever it takes to get better. That is amazing and you should be really proud of yourself! And congrats on the poem, that is great news...... a lot of small steps cover a huge distance in the end. Keep going and thanks for sharing your successes with us. Always good to have some inspiration!
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,
Congratulations on getting to the door!  I agree that this is the second step (the first was deciding to go).  Does the support group have a contact person.  You may make a call in advance, arrange to meet in the parking lot and walk in together.  You may find out you already know someone who is going once you get there!  You also may make plans to meet this person in advance in an environment that you would find comfortable.  People from this type of support group are familiar with the issues you face (obviously)  see if you can make some arrangements in advance for the next meeting.  

Just a couple of suggestions.  But I am glad to hear, you decided to go, got dressed, got to the meeting site and the door!  It is one step at a time around here and you are making progress!  Recognize it!

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete,   Congratulations are still in order for attempting to join the social anxiety group! Even making it to the front door is an achievement that should be recognized. Group work may not be for everyone but please note that group facilitators are aware of the normal anxieties attached to joining a group and will make their best effort for you to feel welcome.   Recognizing that you may not be ready for this type of therapy is a huge step and will also allow you the opportunity to consider other methods that are catered towards your individual needs.   Continue to post and keep us updated on your journey.     Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Went along to the social anxiety group and.....I got as far as the front door but couldn't go in. I hung around up the street as I was a few minutes early and watched a few people go in. They all seemed to know each other and be friendly with each other and it was just too intimidating for me to face.
It's like Catch-22 - what's the best way to tackle SA : group work - what's the last thing an SA sufferer wants to face : a group full of people! Once I'd stopped being angry with myself I realised it's actually quite funny, in a gallows humour kind of a way.

Oh well, nice try, Pete. I'm obviously not ready for group work and face-to-face sharing quite yet. Try again another time...
Hi Pete!

This is absolutely great news.  let us know how the group went!!!

And you know it is not a matter of never being happy, you probably read and remember that you are going to be sensitive to stress for a long while.  Stress will exhaust you and you will time to recover.   So you are aware and prepared not negative and not looking at the world through rose glasses either.

It is great that you are following up the presciption with solid work!  Back to the job. The group for social anxiety.  The exercises for your depression.  With what you learn and the good habits you lay down now the future should be a lot more manageable for you!

And you are not happy with what is around the corner ... cross the street.

Reading this thread: