Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

All the new members

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys.. but I really do consider myself a newbie still... I am only very slowly learning this new habit of living while coming in here ... for me it's not about just quitting cigarettes (but that's exactly what it was in the first few weeks of clinging to this site like some squealing koala bear to a eucalyptus tree....) rather, I've never been much of a "helper" before outside my immediate family ( that's the 'shy' Irish in me...) and I have learnt that I need to support others and know/understand slowly how much that is helping me in my life changes right now... call it ego (as we learned in AA for instance) or whatever, but I really feel like a useful tit when I see others who, like I was, are struggling and are very much scared of the Quit in their early days...

There are many long-timers who come in here on a regular basis to help and poke us back into reality when we slip into lethargic/bored thinking - and I mean really long-timers like four and five years and three and two and one year veterans who might just as well have said polite goodbyes and left the site to the newer 'generation' of quitters but they have not done so... Many are graduate students on the Friends of SSC site on FaceBook and they regularly scan the threads looking for emergency cases that they can very well help with some advice and encouragement... I'd like to join that Olympian crowd myself and be able to get in here frequently and help each new scared member  - right now there's lots to do to try to keep a vigilant eye on those members who are in the first weeks and who are wondering " What new Hell is this...."!!

It's alright. It really is okay... and whatever you're experiencing in the first days and weeks and months of this Quit is perfectly normal; (Okay, if you find that your left nostril is shrivelling or your lips have curled into a permanent sneer like Elvis's then you might want to go see the doctor...) - your index fingers will be sore from tapping on keys, your bum will be square and numb from sitting here squinting at the screen, and you really should get up and go wash your eyeglasses at the sink with a bit of dish liquid and paper towels but, essentially,  you're doing the greatest thing in your life to date, you've stopped commiting suicide slowly with the cigarettes...!!!

I ced water you,  Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 140
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,500
Amount Saved: $1,575.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 1 Mins: 51 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 13 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DL,

Thanx for the welcome, and thanx for sticking around here for so long to help out us "newbies".  I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say, "Words cannot express that thanks we feel for all of you!"

I am hopefully on my way to becoming an old-timer here too.  It's been a tough ride so far, but I am feeling overly optimistic today!  Thanks to all of you! 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/25/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 12
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $34.80
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 4 Mins: 28 Seconds: 52

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Patrick, you ARE a gem!

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 129
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,225
Amount Saved: $1,064.25
Life Gained:
Days: 14 Hrs: 17 Mins: 18 Seconds: 14

15 years ago 0 39 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Patrick, I appreciate your insight and humor. It feels good to be a re-NEWed quitter, with a new resolve! NOPE.

I keep checkign in for the support and keep getting it, thanks to quitters like you. (well that doesn't necessarily sound good, but I mean it in the most respectful of ways). I'm aiming to be the biggest quitter!

Cece

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/26/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 108
Amount Saved: $22.95
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 20 Mins: 51 Seconds: 9

15 years ago 0 107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Patrick!  You are a very strong support person for me and I know for many others, lurkers and members alike!  

:)

Jen

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 30
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 600
Amount Saved: $150.00
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 13 Mins: 4 Seconds: 17

15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DL,

Thanks for offering the warm welcome to all of our newest members. 

Lurkers, don't be shy to come in and introduce yourselves .

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Daily Llama

Nice to make your acquaintance!

L.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/2/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 2
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 20
Amount Saved: $9.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 4 Mins: 7 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've missed a day or so and i see many new quitters getting off their marks and fighting the good fight against nicotine... I can't respond individually but I really do want to say a Huge Congratulations to you all and welcome to the SSC!

MrLucky, Bgaines, Quit and, the already veterans, Cece, Bounce, AlphaJen, Puffnomore, Cassy, BillS, Neen, SmokelessSherry and Lucy... if I missed any newbies I'm sorry... I am really glad to be in your company and I think of you in your struggles and how  coming in here helped me to beat the addiction...

I'll try to stay caught up!!

Patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 138
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,450
Amount Saved: $1,552.50
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 15 Mins: 59 Seconds: 10

Reading this thread: