Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Hi everyone

17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again, Thanks a lot for the encouraging words. Today was the day where food is tasting better, I love this day. I went to subway and had a cold cut trio and had to close my eyes it was so enjoyable. Today was pretty hard but the cold cut trio made up for it. Thanks again for the words. P.S - Not sure what you mean about the joe cool thing but I'm going to type it in the search box to see what I can find.
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have smoked a pack a day since the time I was 17. I am now 25 years old. It's actually kind of funny how I started smoking. I was giving some friends of mine a hard time and had a drag just to see what the big deal was. I really liked it. It didn't make me feel like one of the gang or cool just something that was mine I guess. I quit on Novemeber 11/06. My question is this I have quit before 10+ times, even once for 2 1/2 months. Why do we go back to it even when the nicotine is dead and gone?
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Only you can answer why you go back to it so readily, Dorothy. That's kind of what the Good Witch of the East said "you had the answer all along...I couldn't have told you because you wouldn't have believed me". Somewhere along the way smoking became entrenched in your psychi. It did in mine and it's sneaky. Figuring out triggers can sometimes answer the question of what smoking fulfilled in you. Some people say they smoke when they are relaxed (after dinner), some smoke to relax (when stressed), some tell themselves they are smoking to celebrate (at a party), others because they are depressed. I will tell you that an alcoholic says the same thing, but when an addiction is said to satisfy all these things, it's not hard to see that one is smoking to smoke. I don't know how long your other quits were, and I don't know how long it takes to re-circut (doesn't this thing have spell check?)after nicotine, but I can tell you that it is an incredibly strong physical addition. I'm gonna have to end up making this next statement my signature. I can tell you that I had quit for 11 years and have been smoking for the last three, with a few minor quits peppered in. This is serious business. You have a major monkey on your back and its gonna take all your resources to fight the good fight and never let your guard down. As one person stated on this site, and I can't remember who right now - one puff away from two packs a day. Best of luck to you - call in the calvary.
17 years ago 0 2670 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi jojo, you hav ecome to the right place! I am 49 and had smoked for 31 years, with one wuit for 2.5 years. ANyway, the thing is that you can do this if you are positive and believe in yourself. By the way, welcome and congrats on 3 days quit lynnexx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 331 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
  • Quit Meter

$113,445.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6486 Hours: 10

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 327 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess we go back because we're addicts and we'll always be addicts. I have quit for 7 years once and three years twice. Each time I felt driven to have "just one" and ended up within a few months, right back at 1 pack/day. You're doing great to have learned this lesson pretty well already at age 25. Don't keep playing russian roulette with cigarettes. Any one of them can be the one to get lung cancer going. You're 25 and you've demonstrated an ability to quit for fairly extended periods. Make this the one that sticks. QM [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 616 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $120 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
imallclear makes some excellent points........I really like the Oz analogy! :) Nicotine is addictive. Highly addictive. Please stop now while you are young. I am 46 and have COPD. BTW, 46 is NOT old! Much too young to have lung disease, but at 25 thought I had the world by the tail. Bad things happen to OTHER people. I could go on, but I think you need to do a search here and read about Joe Cool. Now is the time for you to quit for good. Oh, grab some tissue before reading Joe Cool's thread..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 67 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $536 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JOJO, Welcome to our support community and please take a look around. You will find lots of information, tips and tools to guide you. Take the time to wrote a journal and keep your thought son paper. Situations will arise that will tempt you and you will have to be prepared. A good idea is to change up your routines. This will help you get rid of the craves and not expect cigarettes at certain times. Always use your coping mechanisms and see the difference it can make :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: