Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Holidays Blues

14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Josie

Thank you for the response.  I have already invited my son and his family to stop by and visit while he is in town.  I told him I had a dinner reservation for 1pm and would be coming home shortly after that and would like it if they come by to visit while they are here.  He said he would have to see how it goes and that they might be able to come by but the kids would want to visit with their grandma meaning his mother in law.
Any way I think I have done all I can do to have a relationship with them and it is time to move on and enjoy my life with my partner with out them.  I feel it takes both parties to work on a relationship and both parties have to be willing to put some effort into it for it to work.  My son knows I feel this way and I have suggested this to him many times before. I have suggested things such as family barbeques, picnics,camping trips etc and have asked him to let me know when he can fit it into his schedule.   I am going to take your advice and enjoy the holidays with my partner.    I have gotten through these depressing times before by remembering that I am never really alone because of my spirituality. " I will not leave you or forsake " has gotten through many tough times as has the "23rd psalm" and the poem "Foot prints in the sand".   I am thankful that I have God and my partner to spend these holidays with and keep reminding myself that " This is a day that the Lord has made and I will be glad and rejoice in it.  I want  finish this posting by wishing everyone here a very happy holiday season.

May God bless you all and be with you during this holiday season,

Sid
14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sid,

You have someone to share special time with, your partner.  Don't keep moving, find a spot that you love and stay there!  You need to make yourself happy.  In the meantime, what issues are there with your son and his family?  It is obvious that you are both communicating, so take it a step further and invite them over to talk or for tea.  They will be around the corner can you stop by?  Even if it is to say hello?

Communication is key and you are on speaking terms, so take action and put your mind at ease.  Take some you time and spend a nice evening with your partner.

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 199 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The holidays are hear again and I am dealing with the holiday blues again.  I love all the holiday lights and decorations and music this time of year but my family or I should say lack of family makes it very painful.  They have their get togethers but I am not included and if I am invited no one talks to me its like I am invisible.  I received a call from my son yesterday which was nice he said he and my daughter in law and the kids are going to her mothers house for thanksgiving which  by the way is 5 minutes from my house.  I told him I had made reservations for dinner since I had not heard from anyone. I asked him if he wanted to come by while he was here but he said he didn't know, the kids would want to visit with their grandma and I told him I am a grandma too.  He said he would see how it goes.  This is how my holidays go every year and it can be very depressing and I find myself falling into the pit again. Last year at Xmas I was not allowed to take my grandchildren their presents so I mailed them, my daughter in law said the didn't want company for Xmas. My  son called on Christmas eve day to talk and he and I found out the other grandmas were coming to his house for Xmas day.  Any way this is why I keep traveling and looking for a new place to live farther away from them where it won't hurt so much.  I am tired of running from this depression and sometimes wonder why I am still here.  My husband passed away Nov 6 2003 and the rest of my family have all passed away.  This holiday thing has been going for 10 yrs now and I really need move on, and find happiness.  I am very thankful that I have had a new partner in my life for the last 4 1/2 years, he makes life worth living. I do not want to let this depression ruin our lives together. I am looking for a way to deal with this holiday depression for good.  Any advice  from someone who has dealt with this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated. I forced myself to go to the pool yesterday before my son called and that helped but this morning the depression and grief hit me hard again.  I know this is long winded but writing this is helping me I think.
Thanks in advance,
Sid

Reading this thread: