Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,485 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd

Dating someone with major depression

14 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gary,

Your concerns are very understandable and you have received excellent advice and insight from Goofy. Relationships can be challenging especially when individuals make assumptions that are unrealistic or illogical based on past experiences.

Ultimately you have to do what is right and comfortable for yourself otherwise you will constantly second-guess yourself and the sincerity of the feelings from the girl as well. It may be worth while to have an honest conversation about your feelings and fears and perhaps, if she can see that you have concerns and fears she may feel less insecure. You both need time to develop trust and faith in order to have a successful positive outcome.

Please keep us posted on how things go.

Faryal, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gary,  I can only give you some things that run through my mind.  I have a hx of being in relationships that were abusive, both physically and emotionally.  I have dated three people who would have been "good for me", someone who treated me with respect, was kind, patient, educated, etc (my list of things I look for).  However, I would have this creeping depression and mindset and end up, in different ways, sabotaging the relationship.  The underlying core belief is "I don't deserve" this guy. 

Being in a relationship is scary for me.  I'm afraid if I get hurt I'll be back where I was - I don't want to go THERE!  At the same time, he is very knowledgeable about depression.  the only time thus far that I have had an episode of "I don't deserve" we worked through it. 

I don't think you should allow anyone to criticize you or belittle you.  It may be her way of testing you, but you shouldn't have to go through any "test".  Set some boundaries.  Make them clear.....
Setting boundaries is not being selfish (my therapist said that to me, I have it posted everywhere).  It is NOT being selfish.  You don't have to prove anything. You don't have to take a test.  You don't have to measure up.  You just have to be you!  And you are okay just the way you are. 

These are my thoughts.....I wish you luck and don't be on the receiving end of the emotional abuse (her trying to push your buttons).

14 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry, the last message was bit too long for this site, so here's the rest of it.

I realize that it's going to take her some time for her to trust me that I am not going to do the stuff the other guys did. I amy get pissed off, which everyonce does, but I know how to control my temper and I don't have an evil bone or thought in my body. The biggest beef with me, is that she has a tendancy to no-pick a lot and point out my shortcomings. My family and family friends are saying that she dones sub-conciously because she wants to see how far she can take me before I snap and then get abusive, like the other guys and she wants me to prove her right. But, I am going to prove her wrong.

I realize that intimacy is a big anxiety issue with her and it is to me, mainly because I feel that might not "measure up" because honestly, I've never been the most confident guy with that stuff, but that's a different topic.

Since the "meet the parents episode a few weeks ago", she has distanced herself from me and I feel unwanted. I also don't know if she feels that I am the guy she thought I was when we met. I know I am still the same guy, but does she think so? The last few dates we had ended soon and so did the last few phone conversations. She's made excuses for ending the dates short, which to me don't quite add up or make sense to me.

I really do care about this girl and I want to keep the relationship alive, although it is still new. with this post I am open to any suggestions about how do I keep daing this girl and make her feel special without scaring her off, but also keep my sanity? How do I express my feelings without scaring her off?  How do I take her "distancing" from me in stride and not personally? how do I take the nit-picking as not personal?, but on the other hand, I need to stand up for myself from time to time.

I really do care about this girl and I don't want to give up, like all the other girls have given up on me after not much time, but I don't want to scare her off either. I realize that she has her episodes, but she'll come out of them eventually and I want to be there to see it and feel it.

thanks in advance for any help, it's all appreciated.

14 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey y'all

Haven't posted here for a while. This post might be a bit long. First I'll start off with a background of myself up until the last couple of weeks.

When I first started posting on here, I was frusterated about the dating life and I understand that every single guy (and woman) gets frusterated. I allways felt like there would be no one there for me, like I would die alone and I allowed that to weight me down and let the negative thoughts set in. Part of the problem too was that I didn't force myself to do the things that I used to enjoy doing, like biking, as I lost interest in that stuff. I also wasn't eating very well. Excercise and diet, along with good sleep are the three biggest natural ways to beat (or at least lessen depression), I know that much. I am getting back to the biking again and the diet is lacking still, but getting better. The sleep, that's on and off, but I've allways been a light sleeper. The last few posts were about me finally starting to muster up the strength to see a counsellor, but I felt like I didn't deserve the help, or that I would be taking time away from her for someone who really does need her time more than I do. I did call her and set up an appointment with her. However, I never did follow through with it, which I'll mention later.

So, over the last three weeks, I met this girl off a dating website. The first time I met her, wow she blew me away. She did tell me about her past. She was beat up pretty badly by two ex-boyfriends, but the last one was the worst. The last episode, a little over a year ago, put her in the hospital for an extended stay and kept her off work for a few months. She told me of the stuff that was done to her and I was there to listen, but I felt like crying and still feel like crying because no one deserves the emotional and physical pain she went through. But, depsite all this, she was so happy on our first date and the first week-end we spent together. I met her family, and was nervouse about that (understandable), then I took her down to my family and everybody (we had a huge bbq, more people than I expected there), but everybody thought she is the awesome girl that I think she is.

However, when she taled about that, although I was there to listen, I felt pretty quizzy and she could see it in my face. I told her that although I am there to hear whatever she has to tell me, it may make me feel a bit uncomfortable the first time because normal people don't do the stuff that was done to her.

Because of her past abuse, she has major depression and major anxiety. When I decided to pursue this relationship, I decised to hold off on seeing the counsellor because I wanted to be there for her, whether that's a correct line of thinking or not.  I thought I was depressed and I realize that everyone has thier ups and downs, but she has some serious problems. She is getting help for it, by seeing a therepist and taking meds for it, although she goes off and on them. I told her to stay consistient with the meds and so did her doctor.

when we first met, she told me that she discussed with her therepist the things that she wants in a man, and then she told me that I am everything that she wants- and that made my heart melt, I've never had a woman tell me that. She's even told that to my parents. But, she also said that she's wating for the ball to drop and for me to come out as an a--hole, like the other guys were to her, but I just don't have it in me and I don't have an evil bone in my body. I realize that it's going to take some time for her to develop trust and make h

Reading this thread: