Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

post traumatic stress

8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JTL

Your definition is accurate and if you are in that category I can understand how you feel. There does not seem to be a place for other traumas that are not that bad. I've had trauma and flash backs to a misunderstanding and even blocked the event. I would call this PTS only because it wasn't constant enough to be a disorder, but some one who has constant anxiety because of a near miss to themselves or a loved one has to fit some where. And if it is constant then it is a disorder. What have you managed to do for your PTSD to lessen it?
8 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not a mental health professional, but I am a PTSD sufferer.  I think you are confusing stress and anxiety with PTSD.  PTSD has to do with traumatic stresses, such as combat, severe car crashes, physical violence or abuse, and a host of other things that are traumatic.  One of the keys is not being able to let go of the event, having flashbacks, and general trouble coping with the aftermath.  Mine showed up immediately after an  event (very close range gunfight), then years later turned into a panic disorder (yay) because basically I avoided treatment eeven though looking back all the signs were there iincluding a shrink saying "you have PTSD."  

If theere is a specific trigger  you didn't mention,  it could be PTSD.  

I would  say you should talk to a therapist.
Sorry if I gave the impression not fighting was not challenging, They are different. 

Davit. 
8 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nightingale,

I replied to another post you created on this topic as well. I think following your GPs advice is a great idea. If you do feel you have PTSD symptoms though you may want to look into other treatment options that will help you as well. Having a proper diagonisis would be the first step though. Check out the ask the expert section as Dr.Farvolden answers a question about PTSD there that you might find helpful. PTSD is generally treated with trauma focused CBT.

Acceptance can be very hard to work on and it does take a lot of time and effort. Be sure to continue to use the thought records and all the homework as it will take practice. That being said, CBT will not erase all discomfort it is normal and even healthy to worry about certain things. However, if you are worrying about something you have no control over and it is causing you or your family discomfort or interferring with daily living that it should be challenged. How have you been challenging the anxious thoughts now? What is working? What do you think you still need to work on? 
Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 111 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear all you have on your plate. I am sure the program can still help you. Hang in there. And do try to treat yourself with compassion.
You are not supposed to push or fight it.

Davit.
8 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi i think im suffering post traumatic streess and im wonderig will ths program still help me.one of the reasons i ask is ive been giving myself such a hard time at tryign to force myself to overcome things that im pushing myself too much and its backfiring on me

let me explain.my sons been ill and for months ive had to stay awake at night waking myself to go check on him every few hrs.hes now recovering and i dont need to do this anymore but it sends me into such a panic that ive been told to take it easy on myself and just accept it.the more i try and fight it and try to make mysself go to sleep without settign an alarm the more i am strugglign emotionally

i was findign the cbt here helping me face a lot of things but this oen big obstacle is too much for me.ive been told i should just take it easy on myself and just accept for now i feel a need to still wake up until i start to see such improvement with my son that i may naturally get less stressed about it all and eventually not battle to wake up

or do you think i should still face my fear.as in expose myself to deliberately not waking up?

along with this my sons health and now my poor cat beign hit by a car i am facign real worries and emotions.alll of this i hope the program can still help me with.my gp still thinks its a good idea for me to do the program to help with the other anxiety and panic that is appearign for no reasons

Reading this thread: