Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,488 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Frustration

8 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you Ashley! Right now it feels as if I have less time to give up than ever. The Narcolepsy has been with me for a long time (undiagnosed) , but it's gotten worse over the past 3 years. I believe my doctor is going to figure out what works, but we aren't there yet. I have a 17 yr old daughter who keeps asking to do "something fun" together with me OR run around with her to look at colleges. I have a mildly autistic 19 year old son who also needs to look at colleges because his advisor thinks it's time for him to get on out there and use his brilliant mind. My youngest is probably not requesting much of my time because she is the one home with me the most. And she's My older kids need me the most right now. They need me to help navigate entering the adult world. My son needs life skills more than my daughter, so that he can take care of himself. Probably what I can give up in time is the internet. I'm not a big tv watcher. I've spent a chunk of time wasted on Facebook and The other site we won't mention...LOL. I have a friend with a sick baby whose Go Fund Me  account needed managing/promoting and this is done via Facebook. The Narcolepsy site I go to is only on Facebook. So, guess what? I get distracted easily, before I know it I've done none of what I got on Facebook to do in the first place or I do what I needed to do after I've wasted a bunch of time. So now that you've challenged me to think about what I could give up for being with my family, it would be Facebook. Probably need a big sticky note on my Kindle with a To Do list and a sticky note on my cell phone. And I probably need to find a Narcolepsy site that is not on Facebook. Some site like this, where I'm actually learning skills and getting support at the same time. And then there is my husband.... date nights would be great, but they tend to be few and far between because of the type of job he has. We end up having to mix many of his after hours events, working with our community as kind of a date too. It's cool to be with most of the people he works with, but many times it ends up with drinks at bars with business people and their spouses. And that can be fun, because I've made friends with some of these people, but too much of it gets annoying. I'm grown. I don't need alcohol and parties. He needs me and loves my support at these events, but I need him, minus the business aspect sometimes. Kinda stuck on that one. But you are right... taking the family for a visit with the therapist seems like it would help all of us. And I haven't even got to my homework on THIS site in two or three weeks. Overwhelmed, sigh. So, yeah....Facebook needs a rest, a To Do List needs to be priority, and a different site for Narcolepsy would help me more than the one I'm on now. Thank you so much for responding Ashley!!
8 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi in1peace,

It sounds like you are dealing with a lot right now. It also sounds like you care deeply about your family and that you are actually quite selfless not selfish. You also sounds to be very hard on yourself right now. You are dealing with two very difficult conditions, on top of your other stresses yet it seems your main concern is your family. Please acknowledge this within yourself. You are not a selfish person because you have health concerns that are making things much harder for you. I think talking to your family about this and bringing them to speak with your therapist if they are interested is a great idea. The more they understand your conditions the better they will be able to support you and the better able you will be to communicate with them. This does not mean you have to focus solely on your needs, as I know that is not your main concern. You can also ask them what they need from you. As you have limited time what are one or two things that they need from you in a day and what are some things that can slide if you are busy?  In my opinion the more open, honest communication the better. What do you think? 

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can you believe this, Google thought someone was using my account and blocked it and sent me an email saying so that I couldn't get because I was blocked. It seems okay now but is probably blocked on the other computer. Different IP number.

Davit.
Thanks Davit! 
Are you still unable to email? I sent you a couple. If you are still trying to catch up, don't worry about it. Your health comes first!
8 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Take them to the therapist, they have to know from someone else you are giving your all.

Davit
I feel connected, but alone here. I have Narcolepsy and I have to go to another site for that issue. It's like, I have this short amount of time, because I sleep more than the average person and I'm trying to deal with both issues and still interact with my family. I feel overwhelmed. Sounds very negative, I know. Sometimes I feel selfish because I have to seek out quiet places to focus and I'm already gone (asleep) half the time when I should be awake when my family needs me. On top of that, I'm trying to get back some semblance of a life by working part time. It's like I'm in my own bubble. I have thought of taking my family to a therapist with me, so they can understand why I'm looking like I'm not busy, but in reality I'm working very hard. But then I start to think "Me, me, me....it's all about my issues." I've got teenagers with issues and I'm sure my husband would love it if I could listen to him more about his job or his day. I feel like a selfish person. I'm not but I feel like it. Or maybe I am. I don't know. Feeling kinda lost and more serious tonight than usual. I could use a little professional advice. 

Reading this thread: