Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Information on Stress II

11 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've been under a lot of stress, which I think has contributed to my recent set back. I think once certain types of stressors start increasing in my life - in my current case, external organizational stresses at work and a major life event, it makes me more susceptible to other kinds of stress too. For instance, I become more sensitive to physical and social stressors that I can otherwise handle more easily, and once anxiety starts to kick in, I start to have a major internal stressor from negative self-talk. It's kind of a vicious cycle, and a very hard one for me to break!
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Day (CBT) on the forums!

Twice a week will now be known as CBT day.

Once a week a Health Educator will launch a challenge. Members are encouraged to take on the challenge and post their results. A few days later, a Health Educator will post specific tips and strategies to aid you in the way you look/interpret yourself and the way you view the world.

This week we will be talking about stress…

There are many different symptoms of stress and the way stress manifests is different depending on the person and/or situation. Here are a few:
•    Physical symptoms: Stomach pain, back ache, head ache, racing heart, trembling, insomnia, muscle aches, chest pain, nausea, chills, flushing, heart palpitations and more
•    Mental symptoms: Confusion, loss of concentration, racing mind, difficulty with memory and more
•    Emotional symptoms: Anxiety, irritability, impatience, anger, frustrations, fear and more
•    Behavioral symptoms: Pacing, talking quickly, fidgeting, increased or decreased eating, crying, yelling and more

There are two kinds of stressors: external and internal.

External stressors include:
•    Physical environment: noise, bright lights, heat, confined spaces.
•    Social: rudeness, bossiness or aggressiveness on the part of someone else.
•    Organizational: rules, regulations deadlines and office politics.
•    Major life events: divorce, lost job, promotion, new baby.
•    Daily hassles: being stuck in traffic, forgetting your purse

Internal stressors include:
•    Lifestyle choices: caffeine, not enough sleep, overloaded schedule, not eating enough or often enough.
•    Negative self-talk: putting yourself down, catastrophizing.
•    Mind traps: unrealistic expectations, taking things personally, all-or-nothing thinking, exaggerating.
•    Stressful personality traits: perfectionist, workaholic, people pleaser.

Thinking back to the record you’ve kept this week, which category did you fall into?

Reading this thread: