Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Myth or Fact

11 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley and Alexis,

In my experience, counsellors and therapists and psychologists and doctors can be helpful but many of them are not so you have to find one that has good insight and skills to help you with anxiety or whatever condition you want help with. The good ones are worth their weight in gold. It can take a while to find someone who has the skills to help you.

That being said, talking to someone and seeking help is worth trying because I have also seen that if people do not do this then they can end up getting in their own way or using their friendships for therapy which isn't good in the long term. Good self help books are also worth their weight in gold. There are a lot of good books out there today so I think people should look at the books that interest them. If a 20$ book has one useful insight  or idea in it, seems worth it to me because it can help you move forward. I have heard some counsellors discourage clients from using self help books. I disagree with that. There are a lot of useful books.

11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Bartonalexis,

Reading is a great distraction. Focusing on a book instead of feeling anxious sounds like a great technique.

Have you had a chance to read through the program at all? There are lots of other tools and techniques that are within the program that can help you also.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ashley,
I'm 15 years old, I have had anxiety for quite a while now. I tried counseling when I was around 9 or 10 years old but it didn't really help.. I think I was too young to understand that it was supposed to help me. The only thing since then that has helped me get a handle on my anxiety is reading. I constantly have a book with me just in case. Its kind of like my own special secret of controlling my anxiety. Im not positive that that was the answer you were looking for, but I just thought I would give my input.
                          Alexis 
11 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Myth: Therapy and self-help are wastes of time. Why bother when you can just stay inside and watch TV.

Fact: Therapy and self-help have been proven very effective in the treatment of panic and anxiety disorders.  Therapists, counsellors, peers, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses, social workers are all available to help. Using these therapies in combination with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and medication (if necessary) can provide individuals with great results.  

What therapy or combination or therapies have you found useful in helping with your panic and anxiety?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: