Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Menial Tasks

11 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

About change. Back when I could still work, one of my jobs was to thin out young trees so they would grow better. We were paid by the Hectare. (about 2.2 acres, or about a hundred yards (meters) to a side). Some times it was very monotonous. So I would tie a piece of flagging to my antennae on my truck and tell myself that if it was still there when that block (job) was done I would stay for the next. If not then it was time to move on. Can you imagine, cutting out the excess trees so that there were just the right amount left to fit forestry's specs. !0 hours a day, seven days a week till it was done with only a couple of hours grabbed whenever to buy groceries. But I loved it. I loved the challenge but mostly I loved the change. Every block was different yet the job was the same. I think if a person has the right attitude they can do anything but it is nice to have an escape somewhere sometime.
I think you are right about it being the spirit and looking into oneself.

Davit.
11 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
I think I know what you mean by a change being as good, even if it's from one menial task to another.  It's a change of focus...maybe it's the spirit that we bring to something.  I remember having great teachers, and the content didn't matter, since they would be inspiring.  Maybe I have to look inside me
Speaking of menial tasks, it is Fall here in the mountains. 
So we are harvesting. The house smells like herbs. The floor is littered with pumpkins and squash. Tomatoes everywhere. Last night we watched "Fried Green Tomatoes", Today I made fried green tomatoes for lunch. (I do cook sometimes) We still have apples to pick that we don't need. 
I am drying Lemon Balm for tea. It grows real easy and a cup of the tea is equal to an Ativan without the side effects. It is a perennial also. Very good for restless stomach if you find you can't eat. 
We are so far from anywhere that we pay high freight on everything. So menial or not we continue to grow what we can. Sunny varies the menial tasks by bringing in flowers with the other produce. I don't mind menial tasks that much if I can find a feeling of accomplishment to go with them. 
It is colder here than in Ontario where she comes from. So she has a little fire going in our wood burning cook stove. We will actually use it sometimes to cook on but only when it is real cold because the house is very easy to heat. So, out to the garden for some new potatoes. Life is good, even with menial tasks.

Davit.
A change is as good as a holiday. This sually works for me.

Davit.
Hi Ashley,
Singing is the first that came to mind, but the scheduling and commitment became an issue some time ago.  I know what you mean about tasks being different for different people.  Then of course, some activities run their course, or "have a burn" meaning the same thing...like song you might like for a while, and then is less of joy to listen to
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,
Gardening does sound like a passion of yours. When you say "get lost" in gardening it could sound like what some people call "flow" when something comes naturally and you are in your zone getting fulfilment from it while still being very productive. 

Menial tasks can be very relaxing for some. For instance, cooking and sewing are relaxing activities for some but not others.

What are some other activities do you think you may be passionate about.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi Ashley,
My life is full of menial tasks as a caregiver, so I'll try using a radio for background.  I felt a lot less lonely, although I became annoyed with some of the broadcasters political views.

I had a question though.  I find that to take a break, I'll do something in the garden, like deadhead roses, or prune.  This can be menial to some, but I find I "get lost" in it.  I've found it hard to discover a passion, but maybe I actually "like" gardening for the summer.  I think it's run it's course, and see some competing needs now, with fall, and some projects I need to complete around the home, and two courses I need to enroll in to help me learn the skills.

So Ashley, if I get "lost" in something, could it be a seasonal "passion" that I had...even though it was temporary...

There are a lot of people who would be lost without their menial tasks and routine. I know quite a few, whether or not all of them suffer from anxiety or depression I can't say. How many people can not start their day without a quick drive to "Timmy's". Sunny has a routine in the morning and so do I. Hers is more menial than mine. I don't think it bothers either of us, but then it could be just attitude. We are harvesting apples right now. It is menial but not so important to drive us. So we take a few extra days, so what, Bears haven't shown up yet. We do try to vary the task so nothing gets too repetitive. I can spend days digging potatoes and end up with only a feeling of accomplishment. But again since I'm not depressed it is more attitude than anything. I tend to like mindless tasks. What does upset me is deadlines. This is why I don't make lists.
For me working in my shop can be a great stress reliever, but doing repetitive work there is stressful, so I don't do it.
For me becoming disabled has been mixed. I can no longer use work to keep my mind at peace but also I have developed the attitude that nothing but my blood pressure is important and can't wait.
One of the biggest problems with menial tasks is not being thanked and appreciated for them. 

Davit.
11 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Do not take on menial or routine tasks too regularly, such as vacuuming, raking or washing dishes. These tasks can make your mind wander back to your negative thoughts.  If you are doing such tasks, make sure that you have a friend to perform them with, or music to listen to so that you can keep your mind occupied and off your state.

How do you keep your mind busy while doing mindless tasks?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: