Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,458 Members

Please welcome our newest members: jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease, Nallemor, Snaffums

First attack today

6 years ago 0 17 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is an important time for you since they just started. You can put them to rest quickly. Read about panic attacks. I love the books: "Panic Attacks Workbook" by Dr. Dave Carbonell and "Hope and Help For Your Nerves" by Dr. Alice Weekes. 
im 21 years old. and my first panic attack happened while i was in a movie theatre watching "Get Out" i had the same symptoms. Fast heartbeat, chest tightness and discomfort, and trouble breathing. I had no idea what was going on and that is what scared me. I researched a lot and did a lot. it happened in march 2017. its june now and i still have the ocassional panic attack but they are further apart and last shorter times. Use AWARE technique
 A- Accept the panic for what it is, discomfort not danger. 
W- Wait and Watch (Hard as this may sound, let the panic flow through you. Do not fight it or leave the situation, let it flow through you and say what you are thinking " my heart it racing " "im sweating" watch your symptoms
A- Actions ( try belly breathing to relax and let your muscles go LIMP. tensed muscles is a way your trying to fight the attack, remember the less you fight or flight from the panic, the better off you are. 
R- Repeat those steps. 
E- End. Remember all panic attacks end and cause no actual damage other than fear and discomfort. not danger. 
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone. Name is B.D. and I had my first panic attack today. I have seen some scary things in my life but this is probably the most scared I have ever been. I am 37 and it never occurred to me that this feeling I was having was a panic attack or that I would have it at this age. It started off with a kind of spacey feeling but then I noticed that my heart was racing and I was sweating profusely. Honestly I thought I was having a heart attack. I was just recently put in BP meds (150/100) and figured that the ole ticker just popped. Needless to say it just compounded from there and the only thing that really helped was talking to the nurses. They saw it for what it was almost immediately (smart ladies) and they knew what needed to be done. They kept talking to me and I kept jabbering away because it kept my mind off things and made me feel better. They finally gave me some Ativan and transported me to a hospital (I was at a clinic which wasn't properly equipped to help me in case it was a cardiac event). The trip was fine (I was starting to feel better because of the Ativan) and the hospital checked me out with no indications of a heart attack (thank god). 

I am still a little freaked out from today's events and I keep wondering if I am going to have another one. Every little ache or pain or anything makes me wonder if it is starting again......

-B.D.

Reading this thread: