Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Can anyone help me change my mind?

15 years ago 0 65 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Smiffy,

I don't have any family members who drink and I don't even have friends that drink, so I don't have any of those challenges that you have to deal with.  If I were with other people who were drinking, I am pretty certain I would be drinking right along with them.  It's Friday night and I have been thinking about the liquor store all day, trying to put it out of my mind.  I want to drink but I just can't, I have way too much work to do this weekend.  I am estimating about 25 to 30 more  hours to write the papers that are due by Monday night.  I must be a masochist to be trying to do this program while working full time with kids still living at home.  And my stupid head keeps telling me that maybe if I work REALLY hard and through most of the night tonight, maybe I can get enough done to take tomorrow night off and get plastered.  This is not good thinking, so I better get back to work.  Hang in there Smiff. I'll be rooting for you to have more willpower than me this weekend.
15 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Wren

Good to hear you are still going strong!  Its great to hear and I hope your studies are coming along.  I have been away to visit family for 3 days and have to admit that on  the first night I gave in and drank too much with them.  Not my usual amount but still too much..  I awoke with the  hangover from hell and wondered why I ever wanted to do that to myself again.  I did not feel guilty as I knew I would drink that night and decided not to drink the following day.  I did manage it!  On the 3rd and final day I wondered if I really could trust myself.  Out for lunch, everyone was drinking wine and I joined in.  I had four glasses and decided enough was enough.  We went back home and in the evening everyone started the usual binging.  I made a decision that I would say no and would just have one drink before we all retired.  I managed to do that and although I had too much alcohol by 'normal' standards, for me, I  had cut right back and said no.  I came back home yesterday and had NO alcohol and have none today so although many people would say I failed, I feel some sense of acheivement having controlled myself in some small way.  Maybe I am just fooling myself but I do feel very stronly again that I can stay off the alcohol today.  Big John is still in my head..I am proud of what I have acheived and not think of what I have to do in the future. Wren..I am so pleased to hear you are not giving in either.  Please keep in touch with us all as it does so help.  I wish all the newbies good luck too.  We hopefully can do this together.

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on being 4 days sober wren!
Keep up the great work

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
Smiffy???

I am checking back in.  I am 4 days sober and I can't afford to back slide this weekend. I have papers due soon so I have to stay straight and keep working.  How is everything going for you?

Hey Wren

Where are you??? I hope you are still hanging in there?  guess you are keeping your head in the books?? Take care and keep working at it. Best wishes
Hi Wren

I was so pleased to hear that you were strong enough to drive past the dreaded liquor store..be so very proud of yourself!  You are acheiving so much so keep going.  It sounds as if you are keeping extremely busy with your studies, just think where you could be when you are done.  It is such a goal  to aim for, one which could change your life along with beating this dreaded addiction that we have. I retired from my job a couple of years ago but have a pretty hectic schedule and it would be so much happier without alcohol.  I don't know if you read my post in another forum that I have acheived being sober for a complete week!  Pardon my bragging but after an awful struggle last night I made it!  The support from  the mods Big John Rick and especially you  have been my saving grace!  I have tried to send you a message on the instant messenger..hope you receive it best wishes and stay sober tonight!!  Happy reading!!!
Smiffy,

I hope you were able to keep it all under control last night, you've done great so far!  Today was easier for me, but I have a hectic job to keep me occupied for most of the day and today was insane!  I left a post for you in another forum, but I am pleased to report I drove past the liquor stores and I didn't stop.  That is a huge accomplishment for me since it's Thursday and the weekend is coming up.  In fact, I can't remember the last time I didn't go to the liquor store on Thursday (unless I was working out of town).

As for the reading, I've launched into panic mode.  I'm running out of time.  So now, I'm just skimming journal articles to see what they're about and making brief notes. In the text books, I'm reading chapter summaries. 

Hey, I'm glad your daughter was able to help you out. You are lucky to have people to help you like that.
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
foxman,

Thanks for sharing your successes with us and congrats on the 2 1/4 year quit.  Members, how do you feel about the 10th step promise? 

Hang in there! 

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i am sorry. the caveat is we are NOT cured. So, we need to work the steps everyday. 
15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been living a sober life without a conscious thought of booze last 2 1/4 years using the program of AA. Out of the gate i will tell you its just not about going to meeting and staying if booze 1 day at a time. you make a decision to quit and then work the 12 steps of AA. The 10th step promises are as follows:

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone, even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

Caveat is, you are cured, so, we need to work the steps everyday. 

Reading this thread: