Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

need some advise

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beth,

You passed a great test and this is great!

Get rid of the anger and reward yourself for a job well done!

Awesome milestone!

Josie, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for everyone's comments.  I survived cooking school without drinking despite that fact I was the only one of 20 participants that wasn't drinking.  Four consecutive four course meals were made and served with wine at each couse.  Wine was poured for me at each meal and I kept giving it to the person sitting next to me.  The not drinking wasn't easy but what was harder was my anger at not being able to drink.  I was mad a everyone and myself.  although I guess I should be pleased with the success I am more bitter than anything else.
14 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Awesome  Beth I envy you in a positive manner ofcourse. My goal is to be totally clean as soon as possible. Please share with us, (if you dont mind) how you did it.

15 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Beth,
Congratulations on your 6 months without drinking alcohol.
How do you feel about it. How has your life changed ? or your emotions should I say.

All I can add to the others is that I stopped in 2006 for about 6 months ( could be a little more) and decided to have a couple of shandys, then wine, whilst on holidays and that was it till just a month ago. Didn´t just have the one nor did I stick to "just whilst on holidays."
My drinking in fact got worse after that.
I´m not saying that is what will happen to you but that was my experience and I think it happens to many of us.
Whatever you decide to do I too wish you all the best and thanks for sharing.

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Go to google and do a search on THIQ and do some reading. That might give you some food for thought. Think about this, when you were drinking 5 + bottles a week. In between bottles did you think alot or obsess over the next bottle? Did you find it hard to stop especially for the first while? If so I would encourage you to reconsider. From the experience of many I know that going back to drinking ends up with them drinking even more than they had before they quit. I am not say you are an alcoholic, but if you are alcoholism is considered to be a progressive disease.

Either way - thebest of luck !

Rick

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Beth,

Welcome to our wonderful support community and thank you for sharing your story with us.

You have reached a great place for encouragement and advice and we are all here to support you in this journey.

Please do take the time to review the program and tools available to you as they will help you in understanding your addiction better, as well as strategies that will empower you to conquer the addiction and gain better health.

You are doing superbly with being sober for the last 6 months............that is a remarkable accomplishment! It is important to devise strategies to help you deal with or avoid triggers and be sure to reward yourself with something nice when you reach important milestones.

Please continue to post as often as you need to and strive forward in your goals!

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 126 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Beth,

I am in a similar situation.  I have been sober for 6 months too.  A bottle of wine a night sounds so familiar. 
However, I also just finished the rehabilitation/probation program after receiving a DUI.  It was a trouble time for me.  This website helped me through the tough time; court cost, embarrassment, feelings of guilt, etc.  I don't recommend drinking again if you can help it.  Think about all the hangovers that you don't have any more.  Or the fact that now you can go out with friends and not worry about drinking to much or embarrassing yourself.  Think about the health benefits.  I am sure you look and feel better.  Isn't it a relief to be sober and able to enjoy your day?

Bigjohn
15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
if you are an alcoholic, the only solution is not drink. An alcoholic is one who has a obsession to drink all the time or at times tells himself/herself that this time its going to be fine and then end up taking that 1st drink. And then the craving kicks in, end up drunk. And between those bouts, they are restless irritable discontented.

Its nothing else. No dui, jail time, .............

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is the first time I have been on this site.  I have been alcohol free for 6 months. I was drinking 1+ bottles of wine 5 days a week. I have a cooking weekend planed soon and would like to test the waters and have a drink.  anyone successfull with going back and drinking in a controlled way?  Am I fooling myself?

Reading this thread: