Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

New and a big challenge ahead!

15 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tia
I´m happy to read your "long" post and its sentiments and I know everyone must feel the same.
Very happy! Glad you bought your scarf and slacks too.
Like you say that momentry high just isn´t IT !

We can so do this and its sooooooo WORTH it.

I´m so glad to be sharing with you all too. Who else would understand as fully as we do each other?

xx

15 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish everyone a happy (hopefully sober - or controlled Easter)

Great post Tia, you are learning lots about this affliction. We all have that hole we are trying to fill.A major part of the change we need to make is in how to fill that hole inside of us. This is a great beginning for you, keep up the good work.

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tia,

You have come to many realizations!  Positive ones!  Keep on this path and do use the coping mechanisms you mentioned to keep those craves at bay. This is a doable challenge and we can help support you! We do know where you are coming from and we are always here to support and assist.

Get active and crafty!  Use your time to relax and do something you always wanted to do.  Start a nightly walking club with friends or the kids and get energized! Grab a hobby and throw yourself into it!

Thanks for checking in with us

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone....Rosenm, Smiffy, Kitten, Rich, Big John, Health educators et all ...Happy Easter!! Hope you are all enjoying the long week-end. I'm thinking of you and am grateful for your ongoing support and wisdom. It ocurred to me this week that you all express yourselves so well with your feelings. So many times, I say to myself "that's exactly how I feel!". More often tnan not, I tend to be in my head so yesterday, I played out my thoughts more on my way to get the groceries. I kept thinking of how two glasses of rye with a couple of ice cubes would taste so good...I could picture the glass shinning away. I wanted to pick up some rye & maybe just experiment if I can control the drinking or if I should not chance it. I could feel the smoothe taste already!! I thought though that the taste and high I feel would be so transient and temporary. It's like the bottle has an open end to it as no one high or relief session could last to give me what I am after...What am I after?? A something special feeling. Well the rye feeling doesn't last. I would feel badly that I have consumed empty calories, challenged my health and poor little liver, kind of let myself down not to mention my husband and daughter and ALL my new friends on this site, and I want to hang on to something more tangible and lasting. I am grapling with the idea if I can ever drink again or have a few drinks now and again.. But more so is the idea that why do I want to drink. What does it give me that I can't give to myself. I thought of wine but the taste didn't appeal to me...So the special feeling. I thought of a luxurious bar of soap for my shower..It's tangible!! The idea that the rye is so darn temporary and what does it do for me....in the long run...I got to the mall and wondered around to the pet store and then bought myself a pretty scarf and pair of slacks on sale..Both tangible and not temporary and not jeopardizing my health!! Wandered around some more and came home and there went another evening..Oops I did buy some non-alcoholic wine at the grocery store..Perhaps not a great idea but it serves the purpose for now. I did enjoy the flavour and listened to music a short while before heading off to bed a lot earlier that I used to. I feel in control more and have given myself the gift of another day without the poison!! I would feel so much more alone without this site. It's another tangible special feeling for me!! Sorry for the long post..Just wanting to make a connection..Keep on having faith that you can do this all of you..Keep on posting..How are you doing Kitten??? XXX
Hi Kitten.

Just wanted you to know I´m thinking of you and wishing you well

xx
 ahh. Tia.
Thanks for being so honest you too. Goodness me what this posion makes us do! How are you feeling now? Do you feel more motivated about life in general?
I have my up and down days but that´s LIFE and it will always be like that. Its just nice to not have that feeling of guilt, of anger at oneself and just plain fright about what alcohol is doing to us.

15 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kitten....I just want to welcome you to this site. Please do not feel guilty about the challenge of getting through the day. Just keep trying again..and again until it becomes a little easier. Thank you for being honest as this helps us too to feel and be aware of our thinking patterns. I think it may be a good idea to let your partner know what you are going through as the support can be so helpful. We all have those times when we tricked ourselves and others into thinking we are doing better than we truly are...How many hiding places did I have for all the wine bottles!! Behind the dishwasher, in the furnace room and I hid the glass among the cans of vegetables just in case I needed a sip some time!! Eventually, my husband and visiting daughter discovered some of my tactics and helped me understand how much I relied on wine...I already knew but didn't really want to give it up. I just got tired of the next morning feeling and wasting so much time because I didn't feel up to getting motivated.. I haven't really faced a big social test yet as we don't go out socially at all. I'm sure that time will come!! It helped when I tried to nourish myself in as many ways as I could.. I made a good pot of soup,  bought some magazines and chocolate, kept looking at the posts here on line and tried to go to bed earlier so that I wouln't be tempted. I cleared everything with alcohol out...We are all here for you Kitten...Thank you for sharing your real thoughts..
15 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you to everyone who wrote back, i guess we all just need to hang in their for a while!
15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alcoholism is a disease. After few days our mind will tell us 1 drink should be cool. And we take it. Then the craving kicks in and we end up drunk. When we are not drinking we obsess about it and are restless irritable and discontent.

We need to have a psychic change (a different outlook) like Dr. Silkworth talks about in the book called Alcoholics Anonymous.

Hi Kitten.

Big welcome from me too.
You certainly are not alone.
Like you I found that once I´d started drinking I didn´t just stop at one or even two. Always needed more. I started to hate the way it made me feel the next day.
I´ve just completed two weeks without drinking and feel so much more positive.
As Smiffy says. Take each day as it comes. See how you feel about where you want to go with it.
Its great to be able to share with others who have been through or are going through the same sort of thing.

Look forward to getting to know you.

Reading this thread: