Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

Lent: Third Attempt

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How is everyone doing so far?
I've managed to stay completely sober despite being put in a number of stressful situations. I've found I have to get completely used to managing my emotions and behaviour without booze again. It's been a bit of a struggle; the first time I had a disagreement with someone all I wanted was some gin.

One thing that I've found helps is exercise. The last thing I want after going for a run is a martini or a glass of wine, so I've been keeping as physically active as possible. This is a lot easier to accomplish without the hangovers, fortunately. I wish you all the best of luck.

Ash.
15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Me too stopped had my last drink on Tuesday in the am and am using Lent as my exscuse when someone inquires why I am not having a drink especially around St. patricks Day
15 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sorry to bust your hopes of controlling your drinking. if you are a real-alcoholic, total abstinence is the only way out. real alcoholics have no choice on how many they would drink once they put 1 drink in the body. that phenomenon of craving is only a real one can understand. then there is no defense against that 1st drink. which is the obsession of the mind. if we manage to stay away using our mind, we are usually cranky. so, to get over the spiritual malady we need a psychic change. The 12 steps of AA offers that transformation. And one has to work the steps rest of your life. Just like taking medication for diabetics or other major ailment.

Hi ashwednesday,

I also am going to try to give up alcohol for Lent.  I've also not succeeded the last couple of times I've tried.

Mentally preparing myself for doing this for Lent.

Mychoice
15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ashwednesday,

First off, welcome to the boards and thank you for joining the site.

It is good to hear you have set you have set some goals for yourself. Here are a few
low - risk drinking guidelines:

0 : Zero drinks = lowest risk of an alcohol-related problem
2 : No more than 2 standard drinks on any one day
9 : Women: up to 9 standard drinks a week
14 : Men: up to 14 standard drinks a week

One Standard Drink =13.6 g of alcohol

5 oz/142 mL of wine (12% alcohol)
1.5 oz/43 mL of spirits (40% alcohol)
12 oz/341 mL of regular strength beer (5% alcohol).

Higher alcohol beers and coolers have more alcohol than one standard drink

* If you don't already drink, don't start for health reasons.
* If you do drink, avoid getting intoxicated or drunk.
* Wait at least one hour between drinks.
* Have something to eat. Drink non-alcoholic beverages, such as water, soft drinks or fruit juice

If you want to improve your health, you're better off eating a healthier diet, getting more exercise, and giving up smoking, rather than drinking more or starting to drink.

What guidelines have you set for yourself?

Sarah, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 118 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello AshWednesday

Well done for your determination!  You have come to the right place and we will all be here for you to acheive your goal.  Lets hope you can make it third time lucky!!  You obviously feel you need to cut down/quit alcohol to be here and I wish you well in your journey.  It is great that you are trying to cut back and realise the need to do so.  Take one day at a time and hopefully you willl succeed! The interactive tools diary etc are there to help and they really do, so have a look through the site and see if it helps.  Good luck and keep busy..it also helps you get past the cravings! Keep Posting!
Hello!
This year I am attempting to give up booze for lent for the third year in a row. The last two have been colossal failures. My hope is to cut back over the next two weeks in order to prepare myself. This'll be difficult for me, as I do normally drink every day.

This website seems to be a good start, though, and I plan on opting in for the e-mails immediately, and the text messages on the 25th. 

I hope you are all doing well on your journeys. Good luck.

Reading this thread: