Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Quitting Today - First time using a forum!

5 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Congrats on getting started.

I look forward to reading more from you.

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Becca,
 Scoffing at you....that's because they have NO CLUE what you are going through right now. If they did, they would be praising you for your valiant efforts!  
Stay strong and keep it up. 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 6

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 29

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Timbo, I am currently taking Chantix. I do not feel that I would have ever been able to stop without it, and now I am terrified to go off of it. Thank the lord I still have a month left of medication. I was on Chantix for 3 weeks, before I was actually able to put down the pack though. It was really just "all of the sudden". I had an extremely bad night on Friday night and smoked like a train. I woke up Saturday, and my chest felt horrible, and figured I would complete that pack and finish. That's just what I did. Smoked the last at 10:00pm Saturday night and just haven't stopped to buy any more. I have tried to quit so many times before, and scared of failure this time. The difference between before and now? I have never been able to complete a simple 24 hours without smoking. This time is different. I am right at hour 93. Some people seem to scoff when I am referencing the hour, but to me, it's been a very long 93 hours.
  • Quit Meter

$16,122.28

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 257 Hours: 11

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Becca45,
 Unfortunately there is no set time line for when the cravings will subside, it's different for everyone. Could be a week, might even be a month or longer. The good news is that they will diminish, so hang in there. Are you going cold turkey or using nicotine replacement therapy? I didn't think I could quit without help so I used the patch, well for the first month. Then I started having reactions to the glue on the patch and quit using them. I smoked for 37 years, a pack+ a day. The physical withdraw only lasts for a few days, but the mental withdraw goes on for quit some time. To me that was the hardest part, relearning how to do EVERYTHING without a cigarette. They were such a crutch for me. Happy, have a smoke, mad, have a smoke, hungry, have a smoke, celebrate....you got it, have a smoke. I'm SO glad I took the plunge and quit. 
 Try and keep your mind and body busy so you don't have time to think about what you're missing, or think you're missing.  

A vice for eating & exercising.    Wouldn't that be grand! Once you become a committed quitter, you will probably start exercising and eating better too. It's all a part of the quit journey. 
Stay strong and don't give in to those urges.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Timbo. I am 3 hours and 35 minutes shy of 72 hours. I have had frequent cravings today that come on extremely strong. My friend told me the other day, and I found this quite humorous, "Your vice when your stressed is to smoke", she then told me hers was to eat. I said, "Well, I sure wish it was to exercise, or eat healthy". Of course, I threw a couple of foul words in with my response. LOL. Is there any kind of timeline where the frequent cravings die down or at least the intensity?
  • Quit Meter

$16,122.28

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Em2119,

I wish you all the luck! Stay strong! 
  • Quit Meter

$16,122.28

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Becca45,
 Hope you're still on your quit journey. If so it's been 3 days now, and most of the nicotine should be out of your system. Keep drinking plenty of fluids to help wash out the remaining poisons from the cigarettes. The headaches will be with you for a while as your body adjusts to the lack of nicotine, but it will get better, hang in there. Once I read somewhere that quitters can get headaches from the brain getting more oxygen than it was used to since you quit smoking. Whod'a thunk, headaches from TOO much oxygen.  That NicoDemon is going to try his darnedest to get you to cave in, STAY strong. Like you said, there's many more "good times" to deal with. Keep that sense of humor with you at all times, it comes in handy! 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Em2119,
 Welcome to the stop smoking center, and congratulations on deciding to quit smoking. Slips and failing are all a part of the learning process. Each time you gain a little more knowledge, and you get a little madder at yourself for not sticking to your quit journey. One of these times you'll make it, at least I hope you will, and then life gets SO much better. I see you've went through the program, hopefully you learned some things that will help you on your quit journey. There's lots of good information and tips in these forums to help you. Try using the search feature, sadly it only goes back 2 years though, so you might have to do some digging on your own to find what you're looking for. 
Keep us posted on your progress and I wish you the best.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Good luck to you. I am 45, and have been smoking since I was 12. My last smoke was at 10pm Central time, Saturday night. I got through yesterday, and it was so extremely hard! Today, shakes and a headache. After reading, I still have many more good times to get through. LOL. Well, hoping your day goes well today! Good luck! 
  • Quit Meter

$16,122.28

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So, I've decided that today is the day! I've tried to quit before but it has never worked, however I always tried to do it on my own and not to 'bother' anyone too much with it. I've been smoking for 10 years and am 24, I would really like to quit whilst I'm still young! So, I've decided to sign up here, so that I can hopefully draw some support from the online community of people in a similar situation to my own! I am very mentally and emotionally attached to cigarettes so it will be tough, however I'm determined not to give in to smoking this time!
  • Quit Meter

$13,164.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 154 Hours: 17

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: