Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

What should i expect from my body after I quit smoking?

9 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The first week was difficult - anxiety, short temper, sleep problems etc. After the nicotine withdrawal I found joining the gym and making new fiends there and walking long walks with my dog really helped.
9 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The first week was difficult - anxiety, short temper, sleep problems etc. After the nicotine withdrawal I found joining the gym and making new fiends there and walking long walks with my dog really helped.
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brandi. I know the feeling. Don't worry, you are young and your stopped at a good age. Statistically you will be fine. please try not to worry. John
9 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Brandi,

I want you to take a deep breath. You have nothing to worry about. Coughing up dark matter after a quit is completely normal. When you smoked the cilia (tiny hairs) in your lungs became paralized due to all the tar that was building up in them. Now they you have quit the cilia are beginning to move again. They are working to sweep out all the gunk that has been sitting in your lungs. So you coughing up dark matter is actually a good sign, your lungs are becoming cleaner and healthier.

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brandi,

What you are experiencing in common for those quitting smoking.  There are entire threads here on the topic of "brown gunk" that people often cough up for days or weeks after quitting smoking. From what I understand, this is actually a good thing. Your lungs are clearing out a lot of old garbage that was simply sitting in there before. When you smoke, it temporarily paralyzes the cilia in your lungs. These are the "little moving hairs" that help push offensive crud out. When you quit smoking, the cilia are able to do their job--cleaning bad things out of your lungs--again. This is cause to be happy! 

If it's totally scaring you, if you feel this clearing process is going on too long, if you are experiencing too much discomfort, you could also have a Dr. check you out. A lot of quitters get a medical appointment soon after quitting, just to make sure everything's OK anyway. It beats living in fear. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,495.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 9

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,
 well, First I would like to say congratulations to all of you who who have quit smoking. I'm 30 years old and I quit smoking a few weeks ago but now I cant stop panicking over my health. because I smoked. I guess i just wanted to ask someone what to expect from your body when stop smoking. Maybe I should be on one of them health websites instead but they seem to cost money. This might sound grose and I'm sorry if it dose but I keep spiting up like gray maybe brown black specks of things. I keep getting myself in full blown panic attacks because I'm so worried something could be wrong with me. When I try to google what i'm spitting up it just makes me feel worse :[ please reply to this  if any one knows about health when it comes to this. I'm a single mom with a 4 year old daughter and i cant even enjoy being a smoke free mother because of this panic i'm feeling. I should also say I went to the DR yesterday for something unrelated to the smoking but I did tell him about my fears and I asked him to listen to my lungs and he said they sound fine. For some stupid reason I forgot to tell him about what I have been spiting up. So now Im here freaking out again :[ I don,t understand how someones lungs can sound good when I just quit smoking and there spiting weird stuff up. Thank you so much for reading this and i'm sorry if i'm on the wrong website.

Reading this thread: