Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

But I?ve failed before

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I honestly don't know how many times I tried to quit. I had kind of forgotten about some of my older attempts until I started to type this post. I had no serious attempts for about 15-20 years. I remember trying to quit when I was in my early 20's, and being completely freaked out by cravings, and then going for a cigarette in less than a day. I think there were a couple of quit attempts with nicotine gum in my late 20's, too. The prescribing nurse (NRT's were only available by prescription back then) told me that she would only prescribe it if I was absolutely sincerely dead serious about quitting. When I failed at that, I was afraid to ask for another prescription later. I figured she would say no, since I hadn't been "serious."

I truly wish I had known all those years ago what I know now.  Things like: 1) With each try, you are more likely to be successful 2) the cravings will stop in 3 days. I also wish that nurse hadn't have been so judgmental and scary. It might have been easier to work through some of this stuff if I had had real support instead of someone making me feel like a total loser. 

So, this quit is the first attempt I had in a very long time. However, I had a great deal more knowledge and support this time around. A lot of thanks for that goes directly to this site. I also had a better understanding of myself this time around. I think that improved my odds of success. With over a year in now, I'm hoping this is my last quit. It's certainly been my longest. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,361.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 597 Hours: 19

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great topic Ashley ! I can't recall exactly how many times I'd tried to quit but including the times that I didn't last the day would have to be at least 20 times. The longest until this quit was a hard earned 6 weeks. What was different this time was that I was mad as hell at my smoking addiction and I wasn't going to be controlled by it any longer. It's easy to fall into the self-defeating behaviour of I'll never be able to do this or I'd have to be locked up in order to stop. There were times this quit where I came really close to relapse but managed to hang on. Being able to stop has done wonders for my self-esteem. Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things to do but one of the most worthwhile. Today I hardly ever cough and when I smoked couldn't finish a sentence without coughing. I wanted this quit more than I wanted anything else and still want it. The proof is on these boards that even the chronic smoker can stop smoking. To the newbie I say keep trying because if you really want to stop you WILL be able to at some point. Break the chains that bind you and be a slave no more. Excellent for you for not smoking. breather
10 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Many quitters whom are contemplating quitting often are discouraged by the following thought: “I tried to quit before and failed.”

Well, did you learn how to smoke in one day? How long did it take you become addicted? You surely didn’t become a full time smoker in a few hours. Just like you learned how to smoke, you need to learn how to become a non-smoker.

Research scientists have found that most people try to quit seven times before they succeed.

Members,

Tell us how many attempts you made before being successful? Let our newbies know they are not alone!

Reading this thread: