Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE

I was tempted big time!!!

4 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was hoping that by 3 months that would not be a problem. I will try to stay awake to it. Betts
  • Quit Meter

$7,611.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 216 Hours: 19

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

4 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Amazing will power Pappy! Also, congrats on 3 months. You are doing amazing. I hope you gave yourself an extra special reward for all your hard work. You deserve it!

This addiction is a beast but you are winning at beating it! 

Ashley, Health Educator
4 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pappy,
 Good to hear about close call, and your resolve to stay a quitter. Yes there are always going to be triggers, but once we learn how to deal or cope with them, the easier it becomes. " but I also now realize through personal experience that the fight never really does end all together". I'd like to shed a little glimmer of hope if I can. In time, yes, there is an end to the temptations of smoking. At least for me it has ended. I smoked about as long as you did, and even if the world was coming to an end next week, a cigarette will never touch my lips again. You will feel this way too in due time, at least I hope you will.  "I reach this plateau of being a non smoker and then convince myself I can get away with having just one". Good to hear that you've learned that there is no such thing as "JUST ONE'. That's a trap a lot of quitters have fallen for.  
Stay strong Pappy.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 21

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

4 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
StellaBlue I had my partner move the pack so I could no longer see it. I couldn't even trust myself to touch them at that point. This has been a huge problem for me in the past, I reach this plateau of being a non smoker and then convince myself I can get away with having just one. Unfortunately that never works out for me and the last time I did that I was right back as a full fledged addict again. I know this is a fight that does get easier as time passes, but I also now realize through personal experience that the fight never really does end all together. I am an addict and always will be, but I have the tools and ability to fight this addiction, I just have to remain strong in times like these.  
  • Quit Meter

$16,056.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 368 Hours: 2

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

4 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wowza, what a test!  But you prevailed, and your days keep adding up.  Isn't that the worst when you're shocked out of your complacency by a sudden intense desire to smoke?  It serves as a good reminder to stay on guard, though.  I was walking down the sidewalk last week when I noticed someone had dropped a full cigarette on the ground.  My immediate impulse reaction was, "Sweet, free smoke!" followed by shock that out of nowhere, I had an urge to smoke a cigarette that I found on the ground???  Old me would have for sure picked it up and smoked it (because addiction makes me disgusting, I guess), but thank god I have more self respect now and was able to shake it off and keep walking.  Didn't even break stride, but still - the thought popped up.  Our brains are simply used to thinking in certain automatic patterns according to specific cues, and while this is generally exceedingly helpful, when it comes to breaking a habit it can be a bit of an albatross.  What did you ultimately do with those two smokes?  
4 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well I hit my 3 month mark a day ago and for the most part the cravings are completely gone but I found out the other day how quickly that can change if you allow it. I have kept myself away from other smokers during my quit and have asked any family members that smoke to keep it away from me as well. While I was at working on a car the other day the owner had left a pack of cigarettes with 2 smokes still inside the pack. Oh my GOD was I tempted. I had to take a deep breath, step back and truly convince my mind that NO I could not just have one. I could have easily done it as no one was around to confront me, but after 20 minutes of debating with my subconscious I remained strong knowing I have come too far to let in to that temptation now. Just reminds me that even though I have come this far, there are still going to be times where my mind tells me it's only just one, how can that hurt. I have to remain diligent against the beast. 
  • Quit Meter

$16,056.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 368 Hours: 2

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 31

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: