Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,473 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

Hello!

18 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone! I have been smoke free for 10 days now - cold turkey. I have never really attempted to quit, always have been very, very afraid to consider it a reality, but have been doing pretty well these pst couple of weeks. I had smoked for more than 15 years, one pack a day. I had a second case of bronchitis in 6 months...it was really a tough case...and I began to wonder what it would be like if it was actually lung cancer. How terrible that would be....so I quit. I was tired of wanting, or knowing that I should quit, day after day, month after month...and after obviously triggering my bronchitis, I began to feel very stupid and negligent. Yes, it can be very difficult at times...VERY difficult. About 5 days in I thought I was going to jump out of my skin...but it's over..the urges pass. It is sheer willpower - mind over matter is what it comes down to - everything is a choice in life. It is difficult to quit but how difficult would it be to tell my family and my fiance that I'm dying of a terminal illness? I am getting married in August and all the planning and all the ideas and conversation about life and our future...I almost felt like a hypocrit. There is just no reason for smoking in my life- there is no reason in anyone's life. I may make it sound easier than it is...believe me that I feel withdrawals - some very powerful, that is why I'm writing - to make a connection with people like myself...I find this website soooo helpful and hope that each of you continue strong and well on your journeys. One thing I did want to ask folks is about coughing. Granted, I did have bronchitis before quitting and have been smoke free for 10 days, but I can not stop coughing up and wonder how long this will last. The only other symptoms I have/had are extreme fatigue, carbon monoxide withdrawal symptoms, obviously tension and physical urges and dizziness. Any ideas would be great! K [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/20/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$206,583.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5156 Hours: 5

Minutes: 30 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi K: Congratulations and welcome to your NEW firends. I don't know any of these people well, but they have already helped me more than my REAL friends. They will listen, understand and most of them have already been at that place in the path that is good bad and ugly. I will send out all my good vibes to you, it was a good, relatively easy day for me not to smoke. That comes and goes like the wind right now. Keep your guard up and don't trust that little voice that talks back. Stay good and healthy. Drink a ton of water, it really does help. Hangin tough :) CobenFan
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats kduly! I guess today is day 11 for you. Nice job!! I am now coughing, but I think it is more of a chest cold. It has lasted 9 days now though. I hate it!! Again, maybe just the chest cold, but I am suddenly tired. For about 1 week now, I can't seem to wake up - all day long. I am definately not all "there". Oh the dizziness!!!!!! I still have it. However, I developed the spins when I was pregnant, 4 yrs ago. The Doc told me it was my hormones! Maybe, but when it is bad enough for me to puke, they ought to help me! Anyway, I still have the spins, usually only when I lay down though. As far as dizzyness, yeah, almost all day long. Thank you for posting this, as I benefited from it too. Good luck & congradulations! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 800 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85.02 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kduly, Welcome. I was lucky enough not to have any coughing episodes, but I did have tiredness and dizzy spells. They do go away, but it is different for everyone. Congratulations on your cold turkey, 11 day quit. Keep strong, you're doing great! :) [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 89 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,143 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $738.7 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello. cold t but i never had the cough thing. If in doubt see a doc + it will be piece of mind. :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 454 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,356 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2951 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 65 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
  • Quit Meter

$12,462.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 623 Hours: 12

Minutes: 44 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Fatigue was very normal for me. I slept more in my first month or so than i EVER did normally. I also couged up alot - that is something to rejoice about. It means your lungs are cleansing themselves. Sort of like putting the air compressor to a dirty air filter! If it continues past a month, check it out, but it is probably just the cleansing process. You are so right to be quitting now. Most of us wish we had done it earlier. I felt like such a fool...way too smart to be doing something that lethal to myself. Glad I found this site and accepted my addiction and tasted freedom. It is delicious! You are on the right track. Keep it up! Best wishes. Carole [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 350 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,751 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
  • Quit Meter

$794,552.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5681 Hours: 9

Minutes: 56 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
k, you sound very level headed and clear on your goals. Congratulations for joining us on this wonderful journey of renewal and self-discovery! Lots of people have coughing after they quit. Think of it as the body's way of getting rid of all those poisons. Same is true of the other symptoms you described. But as Josie always tells us, if it doesn't seem right to you or if it persists, be sure to see your doc to make sure. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 472 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,241 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1652 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 65 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$54,693.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 645 Hours: 21

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 28

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
K, Welcome to our support community and please take a look around. The program, tips and tools can be very beneficial to your quit. Our online support group is amazing with support and knowledge. Your 10 days is a great testimonial to what can be achieved. Symptoms may last a couple of days or a couple of weeks. If something seems to persist, contact your doctor to rule out anything medical. Welcome, Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: