Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Don?t think I can quit but I can try again

5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi NoButts! Love your username lol.  I can only share my experience with regards to quitting - I was not often very confident when I started on a quit.  I failed again and again but kept trying and kept track of what was working for me/not working.  It finally came together for me this time, but this was a quit I didn't feel confident going into, either. I knew my track record and I knew my feelings of ambiguity ran deep.  One thing I had to do was get rid of all of my smoking stuff.  This quit is the first one I started by even getting rid of my lighters and matches, and for me I don't think it's a coincidence that this is the quit that stuck.  I found that keeping ANY smoking supplies around meant I had a little space reserved in my brain for permission, or plans, to fail.  Now that was my experience - but if you read around here (which I highly recommend, as it can rev you up for quitting and also provide a LOT of shared experience and education about the process) you'll find that other quitters did the opposite and found strength by keeping smoking stuff around but choosing to say no to it.  Only you can know what is best for you, and it unfortunately might be through trial and error. The important thing is to keep going.
5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I guess what I want to know is should I throw out my cigarettes and and quit if I'm not too confident. I'm probably not confident or motivated enough to even quit 4 days again
  • Quit Meter

$5,823.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 283 Hours: 1

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The test that measures whether I'm ready to quit says compared to smokers who have quit I'm not as confident or motivated as them. I had extra motivation when I found out I have a nodule on my lung. It's being monitored. I'm 35 and it could be nothing. I also have sleep apnea and a recent bout with pancreatitis. I see quitting smoking as improving my health immensely but I don't have the motivation yet. I quit for 4 days a few weeks ago and I've quit for over two weeks twice in my 20s. I take wellbutrin xl for depression 300mg and I figured that would help as it's the same as zyban. I also have some step 1 patches and nicorette gum 6mg. I'm looking for some advice I think about quitting a lot.
  • Quit Meter

$5,823.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 283 Hours: 1

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: