Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Can people share their relapse stories?

4 years ago +1 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Bump up for new users. It's a good read, lots of information about the struggles. You can beat this addiction.

• Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 19

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John,

I have quit and relapsed several times before I found this site and committed to NOPE!  Yes it sucked and I felt like crap and I felt for years that I would probably never be able to quit.  Thankfully I stumbled onto this site!  I finally learned how to quit and how to stay quit.

You know, you talk about this lurking feeling and it's not necessarily a "smoking feeling"!  I am getting very close to retiring and I have had this "lurking feeling" for a while now!  Maybe it's anxiety about leaving work, not getting everything done that I want to accomplish, feeling like I may be letting someone down, but there's definitely something lurking withing my little pea-brain!    Oh, and the dreams I have been having...  smoking dreams included!  GAAHHHH!!!!  There, I'm glad that's out! 

I hate to say it, but I know that I am an addict and I will always be one.  I will always have to be on guard because I know that if I ever have one it will be one pack, then another!  Nicotine is a powerful drug!  You know this and that is why you have committed to a life of NOPE, too!  Don't look too far ahead and keep on taking it one day at a time for now.  It will get easier and easier every day and all you have to do is continue to crave your freedom.

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 1

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your relapse story.

As far as the cravings go, well... I've been off nicotine for a couple of years and I have read and heard a lot from former smokers. From what I can tell, the desire to smoke gets less and less all the time, but it might never be gone completely. Currently, I haven''t had any "craves" (they're not really craves, since I'm not dealing with physical withdrawal anymore) for over a month. And from what I can tell, my craves have been more persistent than most. A lot of people on here seem to be mostly done with them within less than a year--sometimes within a few months. ...We all have a slightly different path with this.  

I do know that whatever "craves" I might have at this point are way less in frequency and intensity than what I would have if I picked up another cigarette. Yes, it s***s to be an addict, but it s***s even more to be an actively using one.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 12

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please excuse my spelling mistakes below. wrote everything on phone in its browser and was scared that I would delete my long post by mistake do I didn't check before posting John
9 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thread guys. I don't like the fact that whyquit.com bands people who relapse but ok that's just my opinion. I have only relapsed one and this is my second and final quit. I totally agree with all saying that the first cigarette when one relapses is the only one which satisfies the addiction with noticeable physical effects. From then on most people will be back to smoking as if it's going out of fashion. My first quit lasted for 28 days. I did really well too. I was fine, I had no cravings I didn't want to smoke. I had even reached the point where being in smokey environments really bothered me and I didn't want to sit near people who where smoking. Well one evening I was at my girlfriends we had a kind of misunderstanding. I nicked a couple of cigarettes from her pack before going out for five minutes to buy ice cream. I returned 45 minutes later having smoked another 5 from a pack which I bought.I was psychologically devastated. I finished my pack over the next 24 hours and said to myself it was just a relapse forget it. I then went for another week workout smoking with no problem. Sadly I smoked ten days later. This pattern kept on going for one an a half months. Then I just started stayed smoking my 40+ again. The next 5 or so months were a living hell for me. I really felt depressed because I was smoking, I wasn't enjoying my life I was even hiding my relapse from some people which made things even harder. I knew that I could quit I had just proved it to myself I had been fine. The psychological pressure I had amounting on myself was huge. So about 5 months later I quit again. I'm now 54 days into my quit and I'm feeling fine. There have been no real cravings since days 15 on which I had alot of pressure. Strangely I have a feeling which is like lurking about these last few days. I wouldn't say it's a craving but it's like a smoking feeling. I'm sure I'll beat it because there is no way I want to go back down that road again. I'm just happy to have quit after 22 years. I am also a firm believer in NOPE now. Can a few of you fellow quitters tell me if you still have cravings? I hate the idea that we will always be addicts. I can live with it I just won't let if upset me or hold me back or let it ever again interfere with my new found life and freedom. God Bless you all John
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kristine,

Thank you for sharing your story. How difficult it is sometimes to just say "no" to these things. It sounds like you have figured out how having just one or just a few or just some in X circumstance ultimately leads to full relapse.  

By the way, these stories are still helping me. I still will engage in relapse thinking from time to time, believing that I could just have one and sweat it out of my system by morning, never having to look back again. But then, I remind myself of the stories here...and of the fact that I wouldn't have been doing this for a quarter century and still occasionally thinking about having one if it were that simple.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 12

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 27

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My most successful quit was six years ago. (If only I'd stuck with it!) I was 25 and decided I'd had enough. Not for health reasons -- I still felt invincible -- or because of social pressure -- everyone I knew was still smoking at least occasionally -- but because I was poor and couldn't afford it. A pack was up to five bucks in LA, so I was losing over a hundred bucks a month, an astronomical expenditure at the time.

That quit was cold turkey just like this one. In the ensuing years my desperate brain led me to try every other approach -- cutting back gradually, transitioning to the e-cig, the patch, the gum, the patch and the gum, the patch and smoking at the same time because I read it would make you so sick you'd never want to smoke again but of course all it did was make me so sick I took the patch off and then puked and then smoked some more. None of those lasted more than a few weeks, but my cold turkey quit when I was 25 lasted a year. In the lowest moments of this quit I have really hated myself for throwing all that progress out the window. I did it very frivolously, like the not-quite-a-grown-up that I was.

I remember how it started to unravel. My boyfriend was still casually smoking, and for my 26th birthday he bought us a pack. Fun! We smoked the whole thing and I was fine the next day. I was so over it. Reformed. Of course, my roommate was still casually smoking as well, and one night he and I got hammered and went through a pack while having one of those deep, all-night conversations you have before you hit thirty and start caring about sleep more than you care about whether religion and science are compatible or whatever the hell we used to talk about. With that, it was established that it was okay for me and my roommate to smoke together as long as no one else knew about it. Except it was also okay for me and my boyfriend to smoke together as long as no one else knew about it. And my old roommate, who was living alone by then and going through a tough time. And this one co-worker of mine if we were having an especially stressful day.

The next phase was the real killer, though. Soon I decided that it didn't count as long as no one saw me doing it. Before long, I was hiding a pack in my underwear drawer and getting it out every time my roommate left the house. On the drive to my boyfriend's, I'd smoke three in a row while wearing a hood tied tight around my head to keep the smell out of my hair. At this point the only distinction between me and an actual smoker, in my mind, was the fact that I wasn't getting up in the morning and smoking. But soon I was doing that again as well. Just to wake up, or to pass the time in the car on the way to work.

And then it was undeniable that I was smoking again. I couldn't hide it anymore because I could no longer wait more than an hour to have one. Getting back on a pack a day was just like riding a bike.

The majority of Angelenos are transplants, myself included, and normally I'd already be back east doing the holiday thing by now, but the flights were really expensive, so I'm heading out Monday when they are cheaper. Unfortunately, however, everyone I know has left already, including my husband, who went ahead of me to spend some extra time with his dad. I felt the need to write my whole sad-sack relapse story down because I have had the familiar, sneaky thought the past few nights that I could smoke and no one would know. There's no one here to bust me. Even the neighbor, who, it's feasible, could spot me smoking and casually mention it to my husband later, is gone. Right now the only thing between me and giving in -- just one! For fun! With a glass of wine! I'm bored and have nothing to do, and anyway, who would it hurt? -- is this cognitive process of remembering what happened the last time. How innocently it all started and how bad it got. And how picking up a cigarette again didn't feel like a casual, take-it-or-leave-it activity; it felt like the restoration of something that had been painfully missing.
10 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jim - Thanks for the warm welcome back.  And, YES...N.O.P.E.

Lesson learned!

:)
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shannon!!!

Welcome back and congrats on getting through your "final" Hell Week!    You know that you can quit smoking, so now you just need to commit to N.O.P.E. and CHOOSE freedom!  Thanks for sharing your story!  I'm sure that everyone that reads it will think again before thinking that they can have "just one more puff"!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 1

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All -

I'd like to take a minute to share my relapse story as this is one that crept up on me over time.  I am currently reading Freedom from Nicotine and am able to identify with the notion that just one puff WILL lead me to smoking again, it just took some time. 

Stopping smoking came with a whole lifestyle change.  I dove in.  I became my worst fear - a straight edge lol.  I began focusing on my health, became devoted to eating right and even Running.  I began running 5Ks and really seen changes in my body, as well as mind as I became empowered and confident.  I even gave up drinking because I did not want to face the feelings that I thought would come with drinking and NOT smoking.  Why put myself through that?  So, I kind of isolated myself and really focused on me - which had it's good and bad points - the good being that I was NOT smoking. 

After about 5 months into my quit, on the eve of my 3rd 5K run, I decided to let loose and have some fun!  I went to see a live band with some friends, had some drinks, and a couple of smokes.  I didn't feel great about the decision, but I did not feel this overwhelming remorse that seems to be a common theme amongst other relapses.  I think I really thought that I had overcome my addiction and that I could very well smoke once in a while (once a month when having some drinks) and not smoke the next day.  And, I proved this to myself because I did not smoke the next day.  And, it was not that hard.  Partly because at this time I am still not nicotine free - occasional lozenge at this point. 

I outsmarted my addiction.  BS. 

Over the next couple of months, I did the same.  I would stay focused, disciplined, NOT smoke, for weeks, but when I celebrated, I would so with a pack of cigarettes.

Long story short, I was not more powerful than my addiction.  My addiction found a way to smoke.  My addiction found him. I wound up meeting a smoker and began gradually smoking more and more.  At first, just a couple of his here and there.  Then, I began buying my own.  When he would leave town, I would not smoke for days even weeks, but then when he came back it was on.  I realized that I associated our relationship with smoking. 

Currently, I am 7 days smoke free.  Back on lozenges. And, have decided that it is not in my best interest right now to date him - I am just not strong enough.  In fact, I do not think I should be dating a smoker.  Not judging.  I just realize I am not strong enough.  I could go on and with run-on sentences, but that about sums it up.

Shannon

Reading this thread: