Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

Am I getting addicted to patches? Anxiety/depression

5 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on your 21 days!! Reward yourself. Im still trying to quit and finding it so hard. I guess while youre on the patch your body is still used to receiving the nicotine...which could explain your bad day when you didnt have the patch on. I get all kinds of depressed and moody when l try to quit. It sounds like the patch is a great thing for you as its helped you get this far. Just follow the directions of weaning off the patches and you should be fine. Let us know how you go.
Ps its great news that you didnt even enjoy your slip-up. No harm done. 
  • Quit Meter

$13,592.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 99 Hours: 8

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!

Welcome to the group. Congrats on getting started. I am sorry to read about your slip. We are at increased risk of having a slip if are any of the following HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. It sounds like you were very tired and this led you to your slip. This is a tough one because feeling tired also is a withdrawal symptom. If this happens again how do you think you can prevent a slip? As long are you are continuing to learn then you are on the road to success!  

Depression and anxiety is a normal withdrawal symptom but also a very challenging withdrawal symptom.  It should lessen after a few weeks. In the mean time eat well, exercise and take good care of yourself. Your body is healing now and needs all the rest and care you can give to it. If the feelings presist or you are concerned please talk to your doctor. 

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Twentysomethin,
 Welcome to the site. Congratulations on trying to become a quitter. 21 days is a great start, and don't let that slip keep you down. Just stay on that path to freedom. I too quit with help of the patch. Quitting smoking, whether going cold turkey or using nicotine replacements, messes with your emotions and your head in the beginning. It's just a part of the quit journey. It's that darned chemical nicotine and that NicoDemon trying to make you cave in and go back to smoking to keep him satisfied and in control of YOUR life. While trying to quit, we have to relearn how to deal with life and all the hardships and pitfalls without that nasty chemical. It gets easier as time goes by and we relearn how to handle the roadblocks. "Is it normal to have such intense mood switch?" Totally normal! "The worst cravings were on the ''first times''. For example, first time driving a long distance, first time drinking alcohol..." And then you re-learned how to cope with the "first times" and it got easier right? Being tired is also normal at the start of your quit, as is having a VERY short fuse, no patience, mad at everyone and everything and being depressed.
 The patches help your body deal with the quit physically and they let you concentrate on the mental part of the quit, which for most people, is the hardest part. 
 If you have the time, read through these forums. There is a lot of great information on helping you along your journey. Even tough you are 3 weeks into your quit, I'd also suggest that you go through the "my program" at the top of the page. There is a lot of good information int there too to help you out.
 Stay strong and keep us posted on your progress. I wish you the best on your journey.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 7

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 4

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi! 

I've been a non-smoker for 21 days!  Well, I had a slip yesterday. I smoked half a cigarette and was disgusted by the taste. Funny enough it was my all-time favorite brand. I still consider myself as a non-smoker because I don't want to have to start over the countdown.

I'm on Nicoderm patches (started at step 2). I used to smoke around 12 cigarettes a day for about ten years. I'ts all goig really smooth with patches. The worst cravings were on the ''first times''. For example, first time driving a long distance, first time drinking alcohol....

BUT LETS' TALK ABOUT THE SLIP.   I've been really tired for five days, snoozing my alarm until I woke up completely lost 4 hours later and missed school/work.  Yeah, five days in a row. sleeping around 12 hours a night and waking up hating myself for being such a lazy ass. I know quitting smoking can cause fatigue but yesterday was the day I needed to go buy my nicotine patches for the week. Was too lazy and depressed to go. As a result; I was a wreck, crying all day in bed for almost nothing, trying to explain to my relatives they did everything they could to help me and my crisis wasn't their fault at all. I just needed to be in my dark spot and let it pass.

So yeah, before going to bed after I cried my entire body, I asked a cigarette. It wasn't relieving. I didn't really had a craving, I just feel like my body was on autopilot. It tasted like sh**.   Today, I was able to go get my patches. I feel good now. 

Did something like that happened to anyone?  Will I always be a wreck without my dose of nicotine? Is it normal to have such intense mood switch?

I always had anxiety issues but I don't have depression history. I found it kind of interesting to feel this way in the past days. I know I don't really have anything to worry about, and I was fully aware that the reasons for my yeasterday's tantrum were ridiculous, I knew it but still felt depressed, well, cause, that's depression.
(I, still feel good generally and I am far from having the thoughts..) 

• Quit Meter

$239,590.56

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 3280 Hours: 11

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 13

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: