Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Dry throat still!

5 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samiraljohani,

I agree with Timbo. This could be withdrawal but the weight loss and the feeling of your throat closing up is not something to wait on. Better safe then sorry when it comes to things like this. 

Timbo! You're the best! Thanks for posting such helpful and informed responses to members. You are such a huge asset to this site! 
Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samiralijohani,
 I'm still concerned with your weight loss, even if you think it's because you are eating less. That's an average of 2 pounds a day for 2 weeks which can't be good for you. Please consider seeing a doctor about this. 

As for your dry throat, I found this in another forum, it may help a bit.

When you quit smoking you may experience a sore or dry throat. This is a sign that your body is getting used to having less mucous. When you smoked, your body produced lots of mucous to protect the airways from the toxins in smoke. Now, your body doesn't need it anymore. 

How long will this last? The first few weeks after quitting. 
Tips to help: Sip ice-cold water or fruit juice, chew sugar-free gum or have cough drops or hard sugar-free candy. 

If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should consult a doctor. 

Take care and stay strong. BTW, forgot to congratulate you on quitting, my apologies. Congratulations on quitting! 

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 20

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for your reply. The extreme weight loss is because I eat much less than I used to due to the dryness of my throat.
  • Quit Meter

$15,470.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 315 Hours: 18

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Samiralijohani,
 Dizziness and is normal when quitting smoking, and dry throat may be too, but the extreme weight loss you are experiencing is not.  You should go see a doctor as soon as possible and get this checked out

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,165.45

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 770 Hours: 20

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone,

This is the 18th day of quitting. I have no cravings and I no longer think about smoking.I'm really over it.

However, I have this really annoying issue. My dry throat. I don't feel that I produce enough saliva. The weird thing is when my throat is dry I feel it's closing and I feel dizziness and about to faint. I know that the air goes through another pipe but that's how it feels like.

I only eat soft food now because I feel that food get stuck in my throat, and I can't eat as much as I want or else my throat will feel dryer and I feel dizziness and about to faint. During the past two weeks I have lost 28 lbs! because of my dry throat.

Anyone experienced something like that?

• Quit Meter

$15,470.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 315 Hours: 18

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked