Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Anger, Frustration, Anxiety & outbursts

8 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Prepare myself for not getting angry or something like that in my quit times (hope full life). My quit date will be a month form now. My quitting plan is "get in to control step by step" then quit. So i preparing now onwards to not become anger on anything..and keep thinking "Ciger" ..."**** its not for me"   
8 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've heard that Champix is good. My cardiologist called it a miracle drug for people quitting smoking. I'm currently using an anti-depressant called Mylan-Bupropion. However I still get depressed now and then just thinking that I can't go for a smoke.
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Chances, I'm also at 3 months and have similar anger/anxiety issues. I've nearly quit my job 3 times & last week ranted at a mechanic like a crazy lady (although to be fair he deserved it for trying to rip me off!), I'm just grateful there wasn't a big wrench within my reach at the time!. I've found it a rough ride emotionally the last 3 months but keep telling myself that going back to smoking is not the answer. I've found exercise helps, swimming, running, yoga - all helps me feel a bit more balanced. I think as former smokers we've used cigarettes to suppress/cope with emotions and without that we're a little bit lost, also do bear in mind there's still a LOT of detox going on, the body's still healing physically and emotionally. I've taken some holiday from work and literally just rested which has helped a lot. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know you're not alone - have faith, stay strong, you're healing, it will pass. Best of luck. Laura xx
8 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ChancesAh,

I am sorry to hear you have been feeling angry. This can be a common withdrawal symptom of quitting. Not only because of the physical withdrawal but also because you may have used smoking as a coping mechanism before. For example, in the past when you were angry you may have went outside to take a break and take deep breathes of cigerettes. Now you need to find new coping mechanisms. Here are some tips:

Take regular, planned timeouts for yourself.  Be realistic and honest: How often did you take a break to light up before?  20, 30 times a day?  More? For 5 or 10 minutes? That inner regular need for a break to change your thoughts or environment and decompress at regular intervals should not be abandoned altogether, now should it?  Pay close attention to this old existing need.  Substitute a breathing exercise or something relaxing and self-loving.  Set an alarm clock if you need reminding and keep resetting it. Listen to some music perhaps too, or just pick a form of *regular distraction and relaxation*, and do it for a couple of minutes each time.  If you take regular 'non-smoking decompression breaks, you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.

Practice relaxation techniques and adopt some into your routine.  Successful people really do.  Here is a simple breathing exercise when you feel tense:  With shoulders back and tummy in, inhale deeply for a slow count of five, exhale for a slow count of five.  Do five of these at a time. (You can do this at your computer too)

Each day, reflect on, and study your stress levels.  Try to reduce the causes of other high stress in your life if you can, by altering the cause. Look at the cause-s.  Much of it may be self-imposed.  
* Consider looking for another job, in another line of work, if necessary.  

* Learn to say no to the impositions of others.  You are presently enrolled in a Quitting Course. (If you had to pay for a quitting program, would you not find a way to prioritize it above the demands of other people?)

* Don’t waste precious energy in criticism of yourself and others. Adopt a Live and Let Live attitude. Focus on your happiness. Anger releases bad hormones into your body.  Work on the opposite.  
* Put things in perspective.  

Value yourself more.  Believe that you are really something!  Quitting is not for sissies.  You may not have arrived yet, but you've left the starting gate.  We do appreciate what you're going through.  Start pampering and loving yourself, now!  Talk positive self-talk to yourself. Some people are too self-critical.  Ease up.  No one is perfect.

The Canadian Institute of Stress believes that by doing something satisfying or pleasurable, we can take the edge off.  This is so important!  (Ahem, ever hear of making a reward plan?)  The reason is that when we are experiencing enjoyment or pleasure, our body is pumping out less adrenalin.  If you haven't made that reward plan, better late than never, do it now!  (And then when you post your stats, share your rewards in order to inspire others to add to their plan too.)

Until you can control this anger, (what you say, the way you say it, how you react) it's better to take a time out than lose a friend or alienate a loved one.  Isolate yourself in the bedroom or washroom until you feel you can control yourself.  

Get adequate sleep and rest.  Indulge in an afternoon or evening nap.  There's nothing like fatigue to make us feel edgy to begin with.  In recovery, we need more rest, as every organ in the body is going through some pretty serious adjusting and withdrawal over a few months.

Anger can be managed.  Study up on anger management:  Get a book from the library, search the Internet, or consider getting professional help.  

Improve communication skills.  Study up on this too. Get a book from the library.  They give classes in this. Lots of fun. Really!

If you are a quitter going through this, please explain to your family and friends that this will pass as you recover.  Here's to you!

A little note:  If you cannot improve on the sadness and anger, I urge you to discuss this with your physician.  The problem may be related to something else and your physician can help you through this.

I hope you are feeling better today. Keep us updated. 

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm also about 3 mos. smoke free, and I get depressed and anxious. I'm also sucking lozenges. I guess one thing you could do keep posting online and reading other posts. They say it really helps to talk or write about how you're feeling. Hang in there. You might want to ask your doc about prescription meds. Wellbutrin? I think.
8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I haven't smoked for about 3 months. I stopped using nicotine lozenges 3 weeks ago. I do have stress issues but in the last 3 weeks I'm finding my level of anger is getting unmanageable as times. I haven't assaulted anyone or smashed anything but I have no tolerance at all. I have yelled at my 2 young kids for silly things. I hate doing this, it scares them and it's unjustified. I also taken time off work now as I my zero tolerance there was clearly not going to work so thankfully I got leave. Whilst I do suffer stress issues and have a few issues on at present this lack of patience is not good. Today, home alone - no issues. However if my kids come over I won't last. I've heard this 'anger & frustration' may be common. IS it Common How long will it last on average Is there any medication or herbs which can help Thanks

Reading this thread: