Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,496 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Day 36 and i feel like each day gets worse..

10 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Weldchic:

I am not a doctor, and if you feel the need you should seek professional advice regarding the symptoms here described.  But I too had very similar responses during withdrawal.  The body is a very powerful machine and nicotine is a very powerful substance.  It is little wonder that our body tells us that something is different here.  I think these things normal and a sign of healing.  However, if your instinct is to seek medical advice you should follow your intuition...Congratulations on walking the road, many have gone before you.  There are a great many kind souls here who hear you and will respond...Write often...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,475.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1301 Hours: 21

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Weldchic,

You may experience some occasional dizziness during your quit. You are now absorbing more oxygen through your lungs than your body has been accustomed to. This dizziness may come once or twice a day for a few days. It usually lasts only one or two seconds, and is gone before you have time to do anything about it.

How long will this last? The first few days after quitting.

Tips to help: Take extra caution in the common physical things you do. Practice standing up or moving at a slower pace.

Racing heart could be due to anxiety. Chemicals in tobacco smoke affect your entire central nervous system. Because these chemicals have been messing with your nervous system, quitting can cause a feeling of nervousness, which sometimes lasts for a few days. And, when your central nervous system gets back in line, you may find that you have a keener sense of smell, taste, hearing, colour and depth perception.

Tips to help:

Try relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing and exercise. Physical activity can also be helpful in expending that extra anxious energy.

If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. Its possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable.

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are still having symptoms.  They last different lengths of time for each person, and come in so many forms.  I agree with everyone else...that your body is cleansing itself.  Try not to dwell on your symptoms, but look at the positive side of quitting.

Congratulations anyway on a good months quit!

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke!!! 

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello weldchic and congratulations on quitting!

Sorry that you are having uncomfortable physical symptoms right now. I have never heard of restless legs/ body as a symptom of quitting. (I have occasionally had the experience you are describing at different points in my life, but not in relations to quitting smoking.) However, I had abdominal cramps as part of my detox, and I've never heard of that anywhere, either. Everyone seems to have a somewhat different reaction to detoxing from nicotine. 

If this is really bothering you and/ or interfering with your sleep, you might want to check it out with your doctor. They might have some meds to help you or, at least, be able to provide some reassurance.

The heart racing could be anything from quit-related anxiety to your body's response to lower blood pressure. Before I quit, I was on blood pressure meds. After I quit, my blood pressure dropped too low, which caused my heart to sometimes race. (I ended up quitting the blood pressure meds, and that was a good thing.)

As Penitent said, if these are truly a symptoms of detox, they will fade away with time. A medical opinion could help to determine what is what.  

• Quit Meter

$22,505.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 16

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Weldchic.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on reaching 36 days smoke free. I'm a little way behind you and haven't had any of the symptoms you've described, just wanted to say hi and congratulations. 
 Stay strong 
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Weldchic!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congrats for making it through over a month without smoking!!!  You really are doing great so far and if you haven't already rewarded yourself for all of the milestones you have reached so far, plan something spectacular!!!  You deserve it!  

I tend to agree with Pen that your body is going through a healing process and withdrawal symptoms are different for everyone.  A lot of us went through the first month or so in sort of a fog and experienced bouts of lightheadedness.  Others experienced anxiety and/or depression and others had actual physical discomfort. I too agree that you should see how it goes for a bit, but if continue to experience these unnatural symptoms, don't hesitate to talk to your doctor. 

One thing for sure is that you ARE doing this and you are getting healthier every day!  Also, one thing I noticed is that you didn't mention anything about dealing with severe cravings!  It sounds to me that you ARE keeping a very Positive Mental Attitude so far and you really are craving your freedom!  That's awesome!  Stay strong and stick close and continue to read and learn.  Let us know how you are doing, ok? 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 5

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi weldchic and Welcome!

Your body is healing and cleansing itself post nicotine and it is taking you on a journey into the unknown. Don't be afraid. We've all had all sorts of withdrawals when we quit and my recommendation is to tough it out. It will be short-term and you will feel so much better when you come through the other side! If you are in any doubt, I would always suggest that you fix an appointment with your doc to discuss. Either way, your decision to quit is one of the best things that you could do for yourself.

Many Congratulations on your 36 days smokefree!! Just keep going!!!

Best Wishes,
Penitent

• Quit Meter

$56,705.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 5

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello everyone I am trying to stay positive but at this point I don't know if these symptoms are normal or not . If anyone could please help please feel free to chime in. I have been cigarette free for 36 days now I started using vapor electronic cigarettes I started out on 24 grams of nicotine and was on it a couple of days then went to 12 grams of nicotine for a couple of days then to 6 grams of nicotine for a couple of days then I went to 0 nicotine for a few days then I put the electronic cigarette down and it has been about 15 days since I have been nicotine free. and each day I feel I experience something new like dizziness heart racing and last night every time and I mean every time I closed my eyes my body would jerk and would wake me up. has anyone had these symptoms and if so how long do they last?

Reading this thread: