Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

How long did it take for you to feel better?

5 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Timbo637
Another "bump up" for new users. 
Be sure and start reading from the bottom of the last page. 

Not One Puff Ever 
Hi I HAVE quit smoking from last six week but till now i am feeling light headed everyday and sometime dizzy spell also. Can anybody advice me what to do
  • Quit Meter

$68,065.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6699 Hours: 4

Minutes: 22 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another "bump up" for new users. 
Be sure and start reading from the bottom of the last page. 

Not One Puff Ever 
  • Quit Meter

$22,996.05

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 765 Hours: 7

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm bumping this for our new quitters!  Read and Learn! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,002.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1053 Hours: 4

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe it's about changing your thoughts. Instead of thinking 'when will I feel normal again?' Tell yourself 'I feel so great today!' Write it down on post-it's, stick them to your bathroom mirror! I am struggling with feeling like myself, too. But I think the key is with positive affirmation- keep telling yourself you are doing good and feeling good. Plus I like to pray- not sure if you believe in anything, but God definitely helps me through everything in life.
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on your 39 smoke free days, Sugar36. That is awesome that you are already using strategies to make yourself feel better.

• Quit Meter

$22,361.30

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 597 Hours: 18

Minutes: 42 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am 39 days non-smoker! I definitely still have cravings and cannot wait for this to all go away! My exercise 4 times a week has been very helpful! I get very anxious and angry still! Also, I am working on my concentration as I have noticed that I have trouble concentrating at times in the day! The physcial symptoms have gotten much better, now I struggle with occasional headaches and a little restlessness as night!
11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would have to agree with Dori..  It seems that sometimes smoking masks other problems we might have already had..I thought that all of my problems with shortness of breathe were caused by what smoking does to your lungs, especially if you were a heavy smoker like I was for 43 years, but I was not totally right in my thinking on this subject..I quit smoking almost 6 months ago and I have done well on all the pulmonary breathing tests..Only mild copd was found..I am still short of breathe though because the damage from smoking took place in my heart and arteries..In the form of high blood pressure, clogged arteries, edema and a enlarged left side of my heart..So I am of the thinking that it is never to early or late to quit smoking and better yet to have never started in the first place..If you are not feeling well do not hesitate to seek help from the medical community..This is what I have been doing and I am working on getting my health and life back to the best it can be for me and my current situation..

Life is a journey.
Enjoy it to its fullest..
Red 
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was given similar information regarding the sore throat.  However, I also read somewhere that should you have physical symptoms that persist after quitting smoking, you should seek medical advice.  The reason for this is because sometimes our smoking masks an underlying medical condition which only becomes apparent once we quit.  A personal example of this I have is a friend who quit smoking 6 months ago and was now diagnosed with COPD.  He was asking me what the point was of quitting because he was "never sick" when he smoked.  His doctor told him that the COPD was most likely there for some time but went undiagnosed because of his constant smoker's cough.  In other words, he didn't notice the COPD symptoms and did not bring them forward to his doctor because he was unaware of them as a result of all the other masking smoking realted discomforts.
11 years ago 0 11209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great discussion everyone!

Sly,

When you quit smoking you may experience a sore or dry throat. This is a sign that your body is getting used to having less mucous. When you smoked, your body produced lots of mucous to protect the airways from the toxins in smoke. Now, your body doesn't need it anymore. It should only last the first few weeks of your quit. Drink plenty of water.

Petya,

It is normal to seek medical help. Many people use NRTs or medication to help them successfully quit. You are certainly not making this up in your head. Fighting this addiction is hard and if you want medical assistance to help you fight this then that is smart.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I posted this because I was wondering if this is normal and if I need to seek medical help or am I just making up things in my mind.

Reading this thread: