Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

Oh great, just great

13 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thanks everyone
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 7/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 39
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 468
Amount Saved: $131.04
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 20 Mins: 25 Seconds: 50

13 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kat,
Saw your post and instantly related.  
When I quit it took about 1-2 days and then my ankles, fingers, knees, etc. all started ballooning up.  I ended up putting on about 10 pounds in 4 days!  (sigh)  I took it on board that this was because I quit smoking and decided that I would continue on.
By the end of my second week I was a virtual sponge and seemingly destined to stay that way, well, that's how it felt.  I thought, Ok, just be sensible and watch what I eat and keep plodding on but obviously if it got worse I would have no choice but to go to the doctor.  I wore looser clothes and tried as best as I could to just put it out of my mind.  I had water tablets in the medicine cabinet but I really hate taking those things.  Again, I decided this was the least of my worries right now and focused on other things like breathing, being able to run up the steps and not being winded, you know, look at all the good things going on instead of focusing on that one thing.
About 3 days ago I started wee-ing for England.  Suddenly my shoes felt loose, my fingers were not sausages and I felt light as a feather!  I stood on the scale (hadn't really done that since I had noticed the 10 pound jump weeks ago) much to my surprise I had lost all of the weight!  I was thrilled to say the least.
Of course we are all different but the water will go, just in its own time.  Your body is going through a lot of changes right now, so it's reactions to those changes are unique to you.  
Let your body heal, keep an eye on things, of course, but I suppose my point is, just relax.  The body does what it has to do to repair even if we don't understand what or why it is doing it.
Stick with it, a little water weight isn't enough of a reason to go back to wheezing and coughing not to mention the miriad of other problems smoking has caused.
Hope this helps a little knowing you aren't the only one.  :)

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/15/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 20
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 500
Amount Saved: �137.50
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 7 Mins: 19 Seconds: 32

13 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kat,

As long as you are following your doctor's advice you should be fine generally.  Go back and bother him/her if the fluid retention continues.

My own experience was that many doctors do not always know the myriad of symptoms which come along with a quit...............how could they as there are so many, and different ones affect different folk, also if they have not quit themselves they cannot understand all the symptoms.

Do try herbal remedies and other suggestions, as you may find a solution.  Whatever you do.........DO NOT SMOKE!  The symptoms may take time to go away, but, in the meantime bite the bullet and soldier on. 

Stay Strong!   Love Lolly.  

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/25/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 2109
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 73,815
Amount Saved: �18,453.75
Life Gained:
Days: 279 Hrs: 21 Mins: 22 Seconds: 14

13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kat,

Check in with your doctor again if it bothers you.  Again, always take your doctors advice as we are not medical doctors on the site and we cannot give medical advice.

Ashley, Health Educator
It's nice to know I'm not crazy thinking that this fluid retention is smoking or nonsmoking related. I thought it was but when I had gone to my doctor I think he thought I was nuts  I will try the bananas, cranberry juice and cabbage. Thanks. Anything is better than feeling like your skin is going to burst! I also just recently read about vitamin b6 so I may try that too. I certainly hope this is just temporary and that it will eventually go away and that hopefully last time I just didn't stick it out long enough.
My Mileage:

Smoke-Free Days: 35
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 420
Amount Saved: $117.60
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 11 Mins: 7 Seconds: 14

13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kat,

This can be unpleasant symptom of quitting.  It often occurs when individuals quit cold turkey. Remember it is temporary and once you get farther along in your quit you will feel even healthier!

Try to cut down on salt and high sodium foods also be sure to keep drinking lots of water.  Overall healthy eating will help too.  Eating a few bananas is good as the potassium may help with water retention.  Also, natural diuretics like cranberry juice and cabbage may help.  Lastly, use ice packs on sore areas of your body.  Talk to your doctor if your symptoms persist.  Perhaps ask for an alternative to fluid pills?

Be sure to stick with it.  I know it is hard but it is so worth it!

Ashley, Health Educator
sigh ...  I already walk ALOT with my two dogs.
My Mileage:

Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 10 Mins: 47 Seconds: 6

13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kat, have you tried walking or working out?  That might help, along with drinking water.  I would talk to your doctor again to see if there are other ideas than pills.  Good luck!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 744
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 29,760
Amount Saved: $7,440.00
Life Gained:
Days: 114 Hrs: 12 Mins: 44 Seconds: 18

Oh lovely. Well I've made it past the month mark with my quit but now its happening again. The last time I tried quiting I turned into a giant pin cushion from fluid retention and now it's starting again. Has anyone else had this problem? I went to the doctor last time and he gave me fluid pills which helped but didn't stop it and well ... I ended up starting smoking again and well you guessed it the fluid rentention went away. Any suggestions? I've started trying to drink more water. I really don't want to take fluid pills again but my legs, feet and hands feel horrible!

My Mileage:

Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 10 Mins: 45 Seconds: 50

Reading this thread: