Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,490 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

Which Cigarette?

14 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me the toughest cigarette(s) to crack we're the ones I smoked in the car.  I would chain smoke on the way to work, on my lunch hour, and one my way home at the end of my work day.

I cracked it by having a collection of almonds, and candies in the center compartment to get me through the rough patch.  I also forced myself to keep going out for a drive at lunch and walking around the mall.  I am the type of person that can't avoid things for awhile and go back later unscathed because I identified that the minute I went out for lunch after avoiding it for a long time would start the withdrawl feelings all over again.  After I started saving some money my trips would involve purchasing things at the stores to have something tangible to show for the money I spent.

It always bothered me that I spent that money everyday for cigarettes and had nothing to show for it.

Mr Q 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 421
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,104
Amount Saved: $3,157.50
Life Gained:
Days: 46 Hrs: 22 Mins: 39 Seconds: 48

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me, the toughest cigarette to give up was after a meal when sitting back and sipping a glass of wine.   To get over it, I avoided other smokers initially so that I could just enjoy the glass of wine and not break down on the smoking front!  It's easy now in the UK since all restaurants are smoke-free.

I thought the hardest was going to be the first one of the day with my cup of coffee, but that turned out to be the easiest.  Funny, eh?

Great question Pen.

Lizzie

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/23/2003
Smoke-Free Days: 2351
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 35,265
Amount Saved: �8,816.25
Life Gained:
Days: 248 Hrs: 23 Mins: 30 Seconds: 26

• Quit Meter

$8,842.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 782 Hours: 6

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
PEN,

I could reply to this at length but I think that JIM has already done this for me!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/13/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1321
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 39,630
Amount Saved: �10,402.88
Life Gained:
Days: 223 Hrs: 19 Mins: 26 Seconds: 22

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well...

I'm with the boys here for the most part!  I thought going into this journey that my favorite cigarette was probably going to be the one I would want with a beer after work!  I definitely didn't want to give up that beer just to quit smoking!

That's why I treated my evening beer as my reward for making it through the day smoke free!  I wanted that reward more than I wanted to smoke!!!  Great motivation if I do say so myself!!!  Anyways, I did stay away from bars for quite a while, too!

I thought the first one of the day was going to be a problem, but it wasn't as bad as I thought!  Oh, and the after meal cigs were a bit tough, but all I had to do was keep my mind on the reward and I was all set! 

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 569
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,225
Amount Saved: $2,347.13
Life Gained:
Days: 96 Hrs: 10 Mins: 44 Seconds: 2

• Quit Meter

$44,212.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 1

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I didn't have a favorite cigarettes, especially no the last thee years or so. By that time, I was simply smoking because I was hooked.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 146
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,088
Amount Saved: $1,584.10
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 22 Mins: 17 Seconds: 57

14 years ago 0 278 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Those cigarettes when driving were the toughest.  I just had to pop some gum for the first month or so.  After that, the cravings stopped in the car.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/3/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 173
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,595
Amount Saved: $1,297.50
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 22 Mins: 46 Seconds: 28

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great Post Penitent!
For me the hardest one was the one I lit just after waking up with a great cup of coffee. I avoided coffee  for the first month and I drank a cranberry juice instead, and I also changed the place for my new ritual. 
I missed it for quite a long time. But it was easier than expected to let it go.
Have agreat evening
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 243
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,645
Amount Saved: $364.50
Life Gained:
Days: 27 Hrs: 16 Mins: 14 Seconds: 17

14 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Good post Pen :) I guess i would have to say the first one of the morning, but then i smoked so much around everything i did, Yea must have been that morning one, got me coughing and gagging , and getting me ready for the rest of them to flllow for the day LOL :) Tresa  So glad to be done with that mess
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2603
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 62,472
Amount Saved: $10,932.60
Life Gained:
Days: 338 Hrs: 2 Mins: 45 Seconds: 16

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great thread Penitent!

It is a good idea to determine what your weak points are. Knowing what triggers you to have a craving or put you at a high risk allows you to make a strategic plan for dealing with them. You can make yourself a list of things to do when encountering one of these moments and keep it handy.

Members, continue to share your strategies to get through those pesky weak moments.

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
If I tell you´ve I´ve remained celibate for the last 30 days in order to avoid a trigger, have I made it sufficiently clear which cigarette I enjoyed the most? lol. 
I´m addressing my trigger situations one by one. I´ve stayed out of the pub for the last month which is quite a sacrifice for me. I love watching live sporting events in my local but I´m just not ready to have smoke blown in my face yet. I enjoy a cold beer too much to consider an alcohol free future, plus I love the social aspect of the pub so its something I´m going to have to come to terms with sooner or later. Last weekend I bought myself a six pack from the supermarket and enjoyed a few cold cans on Saturday evening. I munched on peanuts and sunflower seeds to keep my fingers occupied and I passed this basic test with flying colours. I´ll do that for a few more weekends in an effort to weaken the bond between smoking and drinking. With any luck I´ll trick my brain into accepting that cold beer does not equal chain-smoking.

My after lunch cigarette with a coffee was about the only other cigarette I enjoyed on a regular basis. A large reason for giving up was that I simply wasn´t enjoying smoking anymore. My wife and I actually had our quit date set for August 31st, but we were so fed up with smoking we brought it forward a week. I can say with a certain amount of conviction that I´m not missing the rest at all. I used to chain smoke on the drive to work and I really thought doing that "smokeless" was going to be tough. But I told myself that I can´t smoke on a plane, on a bus or in a taxi, so let´s imagine all forms of transport are now smoke free, and it wasn´t as tough as I thought.

Good thread. I think at times I try to block out that I ever smoked, which somehow seems wrong. This is quite good therapy, I did smoke, I did enjoy it once, now I´ve grown up a bit.

Have a great day everyone!

Steve   

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/24/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 30
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,050
Amount Saved: �157.50
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 7 Mins: 16 Seconds: 27

Reading this thread: