Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

A Far To Complacent Attitude Toward Quitting.....

18 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump! For inspiration. For reassurance ;p. For knowledge. Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 287 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $105 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 62 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I want to say I have been craving for 3days but so far I have not given in.I just read all your posting and it helps a lot to know that you all have been though this and you are right you have to plan and really want to quit and that is me.I know that its going to be hard.Some of us don't know just how hard it is.I'm learing and I know it will get better [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 515 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The fact that people are coming to this website in search for help to beat this addiction, should be commended. They are serious about wanting to quit, otherwise they wouldn't have gone thru the effort finding this website, and share their stories. By coming here people show that they are taking it very seriously, and that they have taken a very first important step in beating this addiction. Gaby [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 290 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $108.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 228 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BFS, I am not saying that planning is a bad thing at all. I think do what you need to get through not smoking, weather it be planning, not planning, posting, not posting just reading, whatever helps you stay quit is what you should do. My point was that I think that people do take this very seriously and do want to stay quit but sometimes things happen. And as smokers we know that when something Bad or otherwise does happen that we automatically look for that Cigg. and even with all the prep in the world you might sometimes slip. And the way I read bubba's initial post made it seem that we are making excuses for smoking again or that we are not serious about it. I think that everyone on this site is seroious about not somking. Or else we wouldn't be here.
:)
Thanks Penitent!! My boyfriend basically said the same thing to me that I am just to dam stubborn to go back to smoking.. Can't wait to get a little cocky!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 914 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Hey Bubba, While I agree with some of your statements I however feel the need to disagree with some. I myself am a cold turkey no prep work done at all quitter. And I think I am doing ok. Yes granted some days are harder than others and I am not saying that this site didn't help me keep my quit but saying "lack of preparation is the most reason folks fail at this" is just not true in my opinion. I know allot of people who have quit with no help. You were lucky that you had a program willing to pay for NRT's but most of us don't have that or have the means to pay for it. I don't think it should matter how we quit as long as we do it. And it also shouldn't matter how many time we quit and go back all that should matter is that we keep trying. I have said this before in other post and I am going to say it again.. I don't consider my self fully quit yet and I don't think that I ever will, this is a constant struggle and the moment you get to cocky and think yep I have licked it, it comes back to bite you in the arse. I do however appreciate you voicing how you feel and am proud to see the stats you have and hope one day I can have the same. Thanks for supporting everyone. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 914 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Bubba....I'm with you on this one. It's not enough just to come and "join in" without a serious think about your life and what you want to do with it. We are not just talking "stopping" smoking here. For me, this has been a lifestyle change. I had a very public failure as some of you know and reset the meter after what some would describe as a "Slip" after 11 days. It made me research and realise that I had been playing at it. Personally, it has been about changing routines, not drinking as much, taking exercise and watching what I eat. It has been accepting that I could not do some of the things that I enjoy until I was strong enough to protect the quit (like going down to the pub with friends). So I had to miss a few weeks......so what in the grand scheme of things. It is also about realising that bad stuff happens whether you smoke or not and that realising that now is the best time to stop. I may attract some criticism here but we have had just about every excuse to put the date off in the last couple of weeks.......including a sporting event, get a grip folks! I've not been around on this site as long as you Bubba, but I'm getting pretty good at predicting who will make it and who won't from the first couple of posts. It strikes me that the failure rate is getting worse at the moment. I would hope that those who have read my posts in the past would acknowledge that I am very supportive of almost everyone who comes on the site, but I do get frustrated when I see people who are set up to fail from the very beginning. Frustrated mad englishman [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 54 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 381 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been coming to this post for 84 days today. I do not post as often as I use to but I do come in here and read every day. I "hope" that I will get to your stats some day Bubba and you should be EXTREMELY proud. I agree with you that preparation helps. I cut down for weeks before my quit date. I found this site and came in here on day one. I also used the nicotrol inhaler and it helped me as well. This site however, helped me more than anything. I think everyone on here would be there to help anyone that needs it no matter how many times they have tried and failed. I do not post as much as I use to, but I would like to think that maybe something I have or will say will be the reason that someone makes it through a bad time or stays quit finally after numerous tries. Thanks for the great post and again congratulations on your wonderful stats. CJ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 84 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,691 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $235.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$63,560.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6421 Hours: 2

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bubba, I agree with you 100%. Knowledge is power! I was listening to a syndicated talk radio show this last weekend, a physician (we won't name names) has his own show. At any rate, he mentioned the fact that the people who are most successful at quitting smoking are those who do not prepare, those who just wake up one day and say "this is it", and quit cold turkey then and there. I beg to differ with him on that. I would think most people have had nagging thoughts and have done some prep work (whether they realize it or not) long before "this is it" makes its appearance. I knew I was ready, but I also knew I needed lots of support and education to be successful. I think the part of what he said that holds true, however, is the being ready part. I think a successful quitter is one who wants to quit more than anything else, and is willing to do anything, suffer everything and give up a few things in order to achieve it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/16/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 137 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,652 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $904.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: