Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,461 Members

Please welcome our newest members: splumley, Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA

Watching a 12 year marriage disapear...

13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HEllo Viking,

I am sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your wife. I wish I had something better to say then just we are here to listen. Hugs!
13 years ago 0 11212 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Viking,

What you are going through is incredibly hard and it sounds like you are really trying to make this work.  I think writing that letter was a good idea and I encourage you to continue to write your feelings. 

I know you may be angry with your wife right now but it sounds like she may be hurting too.  It can be challenging having a loved one with depression and maybe she has closed herself off in an attempt to heal?  I am not sure and I am not going to assume I know your situation as I don't; all I am saying is maybe she needs quite a bit of focus put on her and what she is going through. Perhaps that has already been tried but I get the feeling you still really want this to work.  Is that the case?  Know you have options and places to go for help if need be.  We are always here to listen.  

I know you are going through so much right now and making real progress and that is amazing!  Don't forget that and don't let what is going on take away from what you have accomplished and learned.  There may be set backs but the incredible learning you have achieved will stay with you.  Stay strong!

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Viking 195,

That sounds so very frustrating for you. What a tough situation to be in. I wish I could give you advice, but I am actually on the other side of the story. For the past year or more, I had mentally checked out of my marriage. I truly wanted to leave, but when I couldn't figure out how to do it without being full of regrets, I started contemplating suicide. I am sure my depression played a huge role in all of this

I am sure my situation is very different from yours, but from my husband's point of view, it is very similar. In response to me pulling away and being so silent and resentful all the time, he worked harder, got nicer, and helped out more.

I am still trying to figure out why I started to put up a wall of silence between us. Before I got help with my depression, I could not think about it. But now that I am feeling better, I can start addressing these issues. I now see that many instances of trust has been broken; drug use has been involved, possessiveness, jealousy, one person having expensive hobbies while the other shops at thrift stores while taking care of everything at home, etc. I have just painted a bleak picture, but there is a lot of good mixed in with the bad, such as a wonderful parent, very faithful, always comes home on time, etc. Like most marriages, it is a mix of good with the bad.

It sounds like your wife may be in a very different place than I am, but hopefully, she will start to “want” to make things better. That is the first step to healing.

I am willing to do it, but I am struggling. I have never told him how I feel about a lot of things that have hurt me, so I promised him I would write a long letter. I am working on the letter now. I have promised myself that I would not hold anything back, no matter how much it might hurt for him to read it.  I have a trip planned to see family, and I plan to give it to him before I leave. He promised he would read the letter, and think about it while I am gone. Then he said he wants to get marriage counseling after that.

I think, once I got treatment, I was able to start to see the good in him again. Sometimes with depression, all I could see was the bad.

I am not sure what my story really has to do with your particular situation, but when I read your story, I thought, that is me, but I am the woman. I must seem just awful to my husband. I am really trying to be better. I am surprised he even put up with me last year!

I guess the most important thing I can tell you is both parties have to want to make things better. I don't know how to go about making someone else want something (not even sure it is possible), but I do know that I was suffering from untreated depression, and until I got treatment, I didn't want the relationship to get better. Before treatment, I just blamed my husband for everything, thinking I was just feeling bad because of him. But now I know differently. He did contribute some to how I felt, but the depression made everything just seem so much worse.

I hope you and your wife are able to open some lines of communication.

"wondering if there's anything even left to save..  hell.. at this point - I'm wondering if there was ever anything there at all in the first place."

I remember being at this place. It is such a hard place to be at. I can now see that yes, there was something there, and yes, there is something left to save. But boy can it not seem like that during the blackest moments.

Thank you for sharing your story. It has made me rethink how much my husband must be suffering as I am working things out in my mind.
13 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Recovery is a bumpy road.  I get it.  It's a constant struggle to not fall back into old habits, not fall prey to negative thinking and letting the depression start making decisions for me again.

I get it.

But watching a 12 year marriage fall apart in front of me, because my Wife isn't able, or isn't willing to see the changes that I clearly see and understand that I have made.  It's hard not to let the negative thoughts overwhelm you.  When you try, for a week and a half to engage her in conversation.. even a simple conversation about work, or the kids, or the news... anything.. and all you get back in monosyllabic responses and short sentences.... when she's more interested in her e-book than in talking to me... or spending time with me....  It's hard not to just say to yourself "well, what the HELL was the point of all this hard work anyways, if the one person in my life, who I *NEED* to see the changes, and to validate my progress just isn't interested in trying to bridge the gap anymore and just won't engage anymore" - I can see the progress.  My therapist saw the progress.  My friends and family all see tremendous progress... but my Wife just wont respond anymore.  It's not just a lack of intimacy...  we've had long 'dry spells' before - it's the total lack of engagement.  She hasn't said more than 15 words to me, in the past week and a half, that weren't in response to a direct question that I had posed.  I wished her a good night tonight, and got a door closed in my face for a response.  I went out of my way to spend my last 20$ on something so she could enjoy a "girl's night" away tomorrow and not have to worry about having enough gas to make it to payday... not so much as a 'thanks hun'.  

*sigh*  I wrote her a 3 page letter tonight, and I know she'll never read it.  I'd never let her - It's angry, and not very productive - but it felt damn good to write it.  I don't really believe anyone out there can help... truthfully, I expect there is no help for it, and the marriage is going to end in the next month or two - but I felt I had to put it out there... on the ether ...  just to get it out to SOMEONE.  Too little.. too late.  if I have one word of advice for anyone out there suffering through depression, keep at it.  Find a therapist that works for you.  Don't take no for an answer.  I did, for years...  I went through 2 psychiatrists, a plethora of therapists, some drugs and a bevy or online 'self help' until I found the right combination of therapist, methodology and drive.  DONT GIVE UP, or you may find yourself where I am now...  wondering if there's anything even left to save..  hell.. at this point - I'm wondering if there was ever anything there at all in the first place.

Thanks for listening - I just wish I could get my wife to.

Reading this thread: